Politics

214 watchers
Aug 2023
4:30pm, 11 Aug 2023
30,757 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
They are desperate, and desperate times need desperate measures. In turn that leads to expensive, half-arsed solutions designed to meet Malibu Rishi’s objectives and save his face; solutions which go on to fail at every pressure point. They are utterly useless. We are so strapped economically that everything feels like it’s falling down a sinkhole, and these clowns keep throwing money around like confetti at their harebrained schemes.
Aug 2023
4:33pm, 11 Aug 2023
3,138 posts
  •  
paulcook
Was it ever a solution though? Maybe I was naive before, but reading some stuff this week, this barge and the Rwanda policy would have dealt with merely a tiny fraction of the number of applications anyway. They're not solutions, sticking plasters at best, to my mind mere PR campaigns to those willing to recite "Stop the Boats" and get annoyed with the "lefty-lawyers" when the schemes are blocked.
Aug 2023
4:36pm, 11 Aug 2023
3,139 posts
  •  
paulcook
Meanwhile there are issues getting completely forgotten about.

I saw this and on the face of it makes very poor reading. Doesn’t really appear we want to look after anyone at all.

twitter.com
Aug 2023
4:44pm, 11 Aug 2023
22,812 posts
  •  
richmac
You're right of course it was only ever a stunt, now it's just stunted
Aug 2023
5:00pm, 11 Aug 2023
30,758 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
That chart is pretty damning…
Aug 2023
5:03pm, 11 Aug 2023
3,140 posts
  •  
paulcook
Very.
jda
Aug 2023
6:06am, 12 Aug 2023
15,292 posts
  •  
jda
And Labour’s promise is to keep throwing money at harebrained schemes that can’t work, were never intended to work.

Vote Labour for more efficiently run concentration camps and prison ships for refugees.

“Things can only get no better.”
Aug 2023
6:18am, 12 Aug 2023
5,212 posts
  •  
Dillthedog
I’m never quite sure how these figures work out, but having been to Mississippi and large parts of the US, I really wouldn’t want to live there, and certainly not as a poor person. It really is a third world country. Land of the free? Only if you are one of the lucky few rich people who skew these figures. San Francisco? Fantastic place to visit, great for those getting rich in software. Abject poverty for huge amounts of people who make up the under class. I would much sooner live in poor UK than the US.
Aug 2023
7:45am, 12 Aug 2023
22,816 posts
  •  
richmac
If the stock exchanged was moved then I'm pretty sure that in a decade that chat would change.

Concentrating all the financial institutions skews everything, as demonstrated.

Why is all the infrastructure spaffed on a place that grows no food and doesn't significantly manufacture anything?

Look at London as a monopoly that needs breaking up then you might see a plan to level out this country.

Chances of that happening?

Bugger all
Aug 2023
9:35am, 12 Aug 2023
30,761 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
And Labour’s promise is to keep throwing money at harebrained schemes that can’t work, were never intended to work. Vote Labour for more efficiently run concentration camps and prison ships for refugees. “Things can only get no better.”

>>>points to whataboutery fallacy>>>

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.