Politics

214 watchers
Aug 2023
4:31pm, 9 Aug 2023
2,830 posts
  •  
Surelynot
I think elective dictatorship describes it more accurately. There is more than one party involved in the election so it's not a one-party state.

Whatever you call it, it's not healthy.
Aug 2023
4:45pm, 9 Aug 2023
3,175 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Re: Barges

My right wing work colleague who I often talk about on here, thinks they're not awful enough!
I think she would be happier if the immigrants were all put on a barge and floated out to sea so they couldn't disembark.

She does agree thought that the system is at fault for not being able to process people efficiently so the ones who need help get it and the ones who are here for free benefits can be sent back.
Aug 2023
5:08pm, 9 Aug 2023
30,749 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
It won't be a one party state, and that is a misuse of the term.
I refuse to be unhappy about my team winning ten-nil: if the Tories weren't so epically corrupt, incompetent and destructive this question would barely arise. Blame them.
Aug 2023
5:10pm, 9 Aug 2023
30,750 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
"A one-party state, single-party state, one-party system or single-party system is a sovereign state in which only one political party has the right to form the government, usually based on the existing constitution. All other parties are either outlawed or only enjoy limited and controlled participation in elections."
Aug 2023
6:27pm, 9 Aug 2023
2,831 posts
  •  
Surelynot
JB - I don't agree that the question barely arises. I think the obvious issue of having huge majorities based on a minority of the vote has become more of an issue recently but it's been around since Thatcher was getting her majorities.
Aug 2023
6:43pm, 9 Aug 2023
30,752 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
The price of pedantry is eternal vigilance. We aren't a one party state. It is fanciful to suggest we are.

If one party - let's say one that has only been in power for 13 out of the last 44 years - has suddenly had an electoral windfall because of the chronic ineptness of their opponents... Well, that's how things work in a democracy.

The immediate solution within our current electoral system is for the Tories to be less shit.

The longer term solution is electoral reform, which is not the panacea everyone likes to claim, and which anyway should come from a deeper movement for change than upset at one election result or another.
Aug 2023
8:28pm, 9 Aug 2023
23,912 posts
  •  
Dave A
I get that Abbott was having a go at 30p, but I think she might have got it slightly wrong again:

itv.com
Aug 2023
8:41pm, 9 Aug 2023
3,134 posts
  •  
paulcook
Thanks for adding some balance to the barges arguments. It’s one thing 6 Bob knob making one thing out of it and kind of confirming your original point of view, but I think I needed to hear the opposite point of view here.
Aug 2023
9:59pm, 9 Aug 2023
409 posts
  •  
deslauriers
She has described quite accurately where many of the supporters of the barges would like migrants to be.
Aug 2023
10:12pm, 9 Aug 2023
2,832 posts
  •  
Surelynot
I haven’t claimed we are a one party state - quite the opposite, JB.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.