Politics

20 lurkers | 212 watchers
Feb 2020
10:02pm, 15 Feb 2020
2,013 posts
  •  
Canute
In terms of future electability as PM on the basis of current reputation, Starmer must surely be the safest bet. Nonetheless, I have been impressed by Nandy. At present she is does not have the name-recognition of Starmer. However she is smart and after a stint as leader of the opposition might well be a force to be reckoned with in 4 years time.

She also exhibits a regrettable lack of awareness that Scotland is an important part of the UK. With regard to the relevance of Scotland to Labour’s hopes at the next GE, there are too many unknowns. I have more Scottish blood in me that English blood, and I will be dismayed if Scotland becomes independent. However, I accept that the Scots themselves have the right to determine that. But whatever the emotional issues, there are major practical barriers to Scottish independence. Sturgeon might be pushed into over-playing her hand. Labour would be ill-advised to ignore Scotland.
Feb 2020
10:49pm, 15 Feb 2020
7,052 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Whoever wins has to start showing some good media / PMQs game and then some decent wins at local elections over the next few years. In towns and in NE.

Otherwise they may not fight the next general election and could be the IDS equivalent - forced out for someone more capable who can at least win back some seats and set it up for the next guy - eg Howard.
Feb 2020
8:26am, 16 Feb 2020
888 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Nandy is already doing her best to make Labour’s position in Scotland worse tbh.
Feb 2020
10:00am, 16 Feb 2020
27,260 posts
  •  
macca 53
I’m disappointed (to put it mildly!) that all three Labour leadership candidates have agreed to sign up to the IHRA principles on anti-semitism. This basically means that any criticism of the Israeli state/government is de facto anti-semitism, which is an appalling thing to sign up to. It gives them the right to ethnically clean or massacre as many people as they like safe in the knowledge that no-one will drag them to the UN or to The Hague
Feb 2020
11:56am, 16 Feb 2020
13,517 posts
  •  
richmac
Read a piece on the BBC website this morning. Of 5 billion put aside to build flood defences a third had been allocated to London and the South East.

Just the usual Westminster looking after their own bullshit. There is no real commitment to equalising anything is there? The northern powerhouse is just a sham.

Second part of the rant. HS2 (why didn't they start building it from the north?) China say they could do it in 5 years, yeah but we saw the Chinese approach to ethical infrastructure development in preparation for the Beijing Olympics, let's have a bit of that shall we?
Feb 2020
1:06pm, 16 Feb 2020
7,054 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
How much of population & economy is in London and SE?

Is this a budget for UK or E&W?
Feb 2020
1:16pm, 16 Feb 2020
9,542 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
TMW - so we should only spend money on the wealthiest and most populus areas?

Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me. And is what we've been doing for years.

Pump money into infrastructure etc in London and SE and it's not a surprise that the economy is strongest* in that area.

In fact, there's a good argument to be had that the north is *more efficient* because the amount of govt spending we get is far less per capita than the SE.

Just imagine what would have happened if instead of building crossrail, that money had been spent on improving public transport across the North.

*until Brexit guts the finanical sector.
um
Feb 2020
1:39pm, 16 Feb 2020
1,741 posts
  •  
um
Combining Guardian and EU data, SE & London is about 30% of the population of UK, and 40% of the GDP.

Even though I'm not part of that, about a third of the flood defence budget seems reasonable for that? Although I do hope the split is based on need, not just an equal amount for all, needed or not.
Feb 2020
1:40pm, 16 Feb 2020
23,047 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
"The husband of the newly promoted business minister has been banned from running a company for 11 years after being disqualified by the government department she now works for."
The slide towards Trumpian levels of oxymoronic "government" continues.
Feb 2020
2:32pm, 16 Feb 2020
4,846 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
Per capita infrastructure spend for SE several hundred TIMES that of NE

The Tories are at least talking about redressing the infrastructure gap in their newly won seats, don't believe them, but don't remember Labour even mentioning it when they were in power.

I know a few of you believe Labour need to move to the Tory lite "centre", for me Labour sowed the seeds when they neglected and took their heartlands for granted. When SNPs Mhairi Black said in her maiden speech "Labour left us" I don't think she was suggesting Labour weren't Tory enough

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.