Politics

15 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
2:01pm, 11 Dec 2019
3,394 posts
  •  
mr d
DV just don't want a No Deal, break up the UK shitshow of a Brexit.

Starving the disabled and terminally ill aren't on my wish list either.

Don't want a hung parliament, it's just a bit better.
Dec 2019
2:06pm, 11 Dec 2019
10,288 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
I'd like to think you're right, TommyK. But I'm not that optimistic!

DV, I see a hung parliament as the current least bad option, not a good one.
It seems to be the only route to getting a final & decisive referendum on Brexit, which in turn is what we need to start reconciliation across the divide the whole ill-conceived and poorly executed original referendum created in our national life.

And as you intimated earlier, I do think Brexit is pretty much the only game in town now in terms of key policy. Pretty much everything else is promises we can't fund without significant increases in taxation.
Dec 2019
2:07pm, 11 Dec 2019
37 posts
  •  
Daft Vader
Nobody wants a NO Deal, but with everybody driving the boat, instead of one party, a No Deal shitshow is what we end up with.
Dec 2019
2:09pm, 11 Dec 2019
38 posts
  •  
Daft Vader
Markymarkmark, I guess that answer re a hung parliment makes some sense for Remainers.
Dec 2019
2:09pm, 11 Dec 2019
15,650 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Remember we won’t have the same make up of mps this time around as the sensible tories have largely been purged.
jda
Dec 2019
2:12pm, 11 Dec 2019
5,945 posts
  •  
jda
I'm hoping for a libdem landslide. But failing that, every non-tory seat is a step in the right direction. I'd even tolerate a labour majority though would prefer it if they were a bit more limited.
J2R
Dec 2019
2:18pm, 11 Dec 2019
2,432 posts
  •  
J2R
DV, it's easy to see how having a hung parliament can be portrayed as meaning nothing gets done. But given that the main thing the government wants to get done would be an utter disaster, many of us would be very glad to see the continuation of a hung parliament that has so far prevented this outcome.

In fact, it would not really mean business as usual. It would mean that the attempt to end the impasse by having a general election has failed, which would make it much more likely that there would be a majority in the house for a second referendum as an alternative. Labour would assuredly back it this time, as would any remaining moderates within the Conservatives (I suspect there won't be many of them after tomorrow).

Having said that, I'm much less confident now that Remain would actually win a second referendum than I have hitherto been. I feel I may have overestimated the swing to Remain, given that the country seems to be about to install a new Conservative government who will go for the hardest of Brexits at the first possible opportunity. I hold out some hope that this is not so much a thumbs-up for Brexit as a thumbs-down for Corbyn, but I'm really not sure. I must say I wish I could really believe in TommyK's predicted outcome above!
Dec 2019
2:19pm, 11 Dec 2019
2,402 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
At least with a hung parliament we get a chance to rinse and repeat. Just keep holding elections until we get the correct answer....
Dec 2019
2:20pm, 11 Dec 2019
2,556 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Second ref was not on the table with current/previous government so I completely fail to see how they would move to that if I am absolutely Frank HG.
Much is speculation of what would, could , might happen.
What I and all of us KNOW has happened last 3 years is the square root of jack shit under similar scenario.
Dec 2019
2:23pm, 11 Dec 2019
2,557 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Also uncertainty (as we have now had for 3 years/5 if we add in Indy ref) is often worse for the economy/business/individuals than a defined path which some agree with some disagree with. All (most) can adapt and make choices with a defined path. Uncertainty nobody can.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.