Politics

24 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
4:11pm, 11 Dec 2019
9,741 posts
  •  
larkim
On the basis that every day is Christmas Eve (!), what I want is a Labour Government under which Corbyn rapidly steps aside for Kier Starmer and we all live happily ever after as proud members of the EU.

I expect / suspect the same outcome as Chris outlines.
Dec 2019
4:15pm, 11 Dec 2019
43 posts
  •  
Daft Vader
JDA - I posted a few pages back that I know 31st Jan isn't "Brexit getting done".

It's the same post where I suggested that any final agreement isn't going to be taking a billion years as predicted by the doom-mongers because we are starting from the same place as the EU in terms of standards and regulations.

No, I'm not so gullible as to think 2020 is an easy target and we may well miss it, but it sure as hell won't be the 6-7 years that seems to be the usual timescale quoted.
J2R
Dec 2019
4:19pm, 11 Dec 2019
2,433 posts
  •  
J2R
Sadly, that's what I expect too. With the NHS being cherry-picked by American companies and slowly driven into the ground. Bonanza time for the vulture capitalists!

Unfortunately, though, larkim, I can't see any positive path where Corbyn steps aside. The only outcome where he might step aside is if the Tories get a big majority, in which case it won't make any difference for 5 years anyway, by which point irreparable damage will have been done. Anything else, even a slim Tory majority, will be regarded by Labour as a triumph for Corbyn, if 2017 is anything to go by, and he will stay on.
Dec 2019
4:27pm, 11 Dec 2019
9,290 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
There was an interest mini-segment (about 1.35ish) on R5 earlier - the point was raised that none of the major parties are talking about the **BIG** questions in this election:

- Funding the health (and social care) service in a sustainable fashion for an ageing population

- Ever increasing wealth (not income) inequality particularly driven in a generational pattern

- Climate Change and how we (a) mitigate baked in factors and (b) get to net zero

- Increasing automation in the workplace and how this will displace people

- How do we build enough houses and make them (a) sustainable and (b) affordable and how to we change the system to do this in a way that is climate change compatible?

The point was made that Brexit is a distraction from us having a discussion as a nation (and dare I say it - more widely as for example a member in a union of European states) of these key BIG issues. The point was also made that Brexit looks like an almost deliberate distraction from having these key discussions.
Dec 2019
4:29pm, 11 Dec 2019
9,291 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Stander: "It's the same post where I suggested that any final agreement isn't going to be taking a billion years as predicted by the doom-mongers because we are starting from the same place as the EU in terms of standards and regulations. "

No. It's harder. For the reasons posted earlier.
Dec 2019
4:31pm, 11 Dec 2019
44 posts
  •  
Daft Vader
We may disagree on the timescales Fozzy, but the reply above to JDA was pointing out that I'm not a gullible fool falling for the simplistic "get brexit done" slogan.
Dec 2019
4:33pm, 11 Dec 2019
45 posts
  •  
Daft Vader
Just read your full post Fozzy.

You have a typo. Or are confusing me with someone else.
jda
Dec 2019
4:36pm, 11 Dec 2019
5,948 posts
  •  
jda
DV, in that same post you said the "actual exit [...] happens end of 2020"

Barnier says it won't - at least, not via an agreed trade deal.

I agree with Barnier - and more specifically, what Barnier said is blindingly obvious to anyone with a clue who's been paying attention, so anyone who professes to believe that the actual exit will happen at the end of 2020 is either a liar or a gullible fool.
Dec 2019
4:38pm, 11 Dec 2019
15,569 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I don't think DV is stander.

DV - scenario in which Corbyn goes, without resigning:

Tory majority -> Corbyn doesn't resign -> Hostile leadership bid launched by Starmer and/or Thornberry (both have been VERY quiet) -> Corbyn loses vote as £3 members flock to remove him (because nobody likes election losers)
Dec 2019
4:39pm, 11 Dec 2019
46 posts
  •  
Daft Vader
Fair enough JDA - I'll clarify. I hope Brexit done by end of 2020, but I won't be surprised if they isn't an extension or delay.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.