•  
run free
Just seen it - thought JC came across more empathetic than BJ
Nov 2019
10:48pm, 19 Nov 2019
15,510 posts
  •  
Chrisull
TRO - I dunno, Corbyn didn't need to win, he's come across as on a par with Boris which given he's minus 60 on ratings, and Johnson is about evens, that is a result. It isn't like Labour are suddenly going to win a majority is it? They merely have to appear as credible to the undecideds.... enough to hang a Parliament that's what it's about (the polls are wrong currently, yes the Tories probably will get a majority, but early doorstep grumblings are suggesting the waters are a lot muddier than YouGov's 17 point lead suggest). Tonight anyone Labour thought Labour won, anyone Tory thought Tories won.

I thought it was a score draw, Corbyn did badly when refusing to say what he'd campaign for om Brexit...when an answer was in front of him.... which I see now possibly as "we won't campaign, we will remain neutral, as it's your decision, you should decide". However he rallied in the second half, and the audience effectively awarded Corbyn points for the bad faith grumbling on the climate change question. Johnson squirmed on the NHS quite a few times, his royal family answer was ludicrous (they are beyond reproach) and was so obviously frantically trying to change the question on several occasions. In terms of student debating terms, Corbyn won narrowly, Johnson employed whataboutery (which is not a valid debating point) and didn't answer the question more often than not, but Corbyn also did the latter early on and didn't have enough substance when he did and just ranted passionately instead. Not really that edifying was it?

The few undecideds stay mainly undecided but some got a bit closer to deciding I'd hazard, even if it was to throw in with Jo Swinson, Nicola Sturgeon or Caroline Lucas. A Tory majority still looms, but not a done deal yet.
Nov 2019
10:58pm, 19 Nov 2019
8,277 posts
  •  
simbil
Didn’t see it, but remember during the Tory leadership contest everyone was saying BoJo would tear strips out of Corbyn head to head. Sounds like that didn’t happen?

Fair way to go yet and too close to call.
Nov 2019
7:38am, 20 Nov 2019
12,620 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I watched Masterchef.

Watching snippets on the morning news interesting audience laughed at Boris Johnstone on the question on trust and lies.
Nov 2019
9:02am, 20 Nov 2019
8,278 posts
  •  
simbil
If the poll summary is to be believed that the head to head last night was a draw (0-0?), then the tories might find that they’ve given labour the win with their sinister rebranding of CCHQ on Twitter masquerading as a fact checker last night. They really are more or less UKIP/BP now.
Nov 2019
9:09am, 20 Nov 2019
24,689 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I saw snippets too, for balance they laughed at Corbyn on Brexit.
Nov 2019
9:31am, 20 Nov 2019
6,686 posts
  •  
paul the builder
I watched it all. The only major audience reactions I can recall were the laughing at Johnson on "trust", and the (rather shameful) "oh, here we go" when Corbyn talked about global warming affecting the least well-off.

Neither were very good. Think Corbyn missed a few open goals.

Both leaders (or their teams) must have decided that it doesn't play well to get in to detail, and challenge the other's claims (does the electorate have such a low threshold for detail?).

Julie Etchingham wasn't great either. Not laying down rules to start, indecisive about whether to let them respond to each other's points or move on. And waving her bloody hand about in front of her face all the time.
Nov 2019
9:40am, 20 Nov 2019
24,691 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I decided not to watch on the basis that they are shite, and prove nothing whatsoever.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.