Politics

13 lurkers | 212 watchers
Nov 2019
3:07pm, 18 Nov 2019
9,497 posts
  •  
larkim
Apprenticeship levy can be used for all. There are some incentives for 16-18yos that affect employers and training providers, but there is no bar on age.

One issue with the Levy is that employers are doing what TMW is suggesting and using them for (perfectly valid) high end "apprenticeships", which is draining the pot of funds away from what people think of as "apprenticeships". Large employers are effectively encouraged to find ways of re-badging employee training as apprenticeships so that they can use their own levy and get training providers and FE colleges to provide some of the qualification costs, whereas in the past employers might have either not done the training at all, or delivered it at their own cost in house.

There are still huge numbers of apprenticeships delivered outside of the Levy by smaller employers, though there is (and always was) govt funding for those as apprenticeships invariably require formal qualifications (NVQs and the like) alongside on the job training etc.
Nov 2019
7:06pm, 18 Nov 2019
15,505 posts
  •  
Chrisull
The problem Milani faces in Uxbridge is that in London the anti-semitism issue is very big there and will likely cost Labour a fair few seats in London. Milani made some anti-semitic tweets 8 years ago (when he was 16-17, he's only 25 now) which have long since been deleted and he has apologised for, but that won't be forgiven. He ain't getting in sorry.

Although it's also pertinent to consider that EVERY single political party has or has recently had members with racist/homophobic/misogynist views. You can argue that Johnson and Corbyn have been implicitly racist/anti-semitic (I'm sorry but liking an anti-semitic tweet is NOT explicit anti-semitism) and as leaders that is more important.

BUT I'd point out that Jo Swinson admitted Philip Lee who is “a homophobe, a xenophobe, and someone who thinks people should be barred from the country if they are ill.” These aren't my words but the words of Jennie Rigg, Chair of the Lib Dems’ LGBT+ group!!!! Even the Greens have mps with dodgy views (although Caroline Lucas is as close to exemplary as you're gonna get).

So if you're going to pretend the moral high ground for not voting for Corbyn for anti-semitism and Johnson for islamophobia, well the Lib Dems are homophobes, the Green Party grew from a eugenics society... I suggest you don't bother voting. And I'd suggest looking at the mirror, and seeing if you're 100% non racist, non sexist, non homophobic... I'd suggest NONE of us are. All of us can do better.
Nov 2019
7:54pm, 18 Nov 2019
8,275 posts
  •  
simbil
Representative democracy = vote for someone with a set of values you have/aspire to. Some parties are better than others, and lets face it, Labour not doing so well probably followed closely by the Tories.
Nov 2019
8:11pm, 18 Nov 2019
15,506 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I think the three "main" parties are all doing abysmally. I don't think there is a moral high ground or low ground. Tim Farron, and now Jo Swinson. Homophobia ain't some less important than anti-semitism prejudice. They are all failing.

Meanwhile the US have just considered illegally occupied Israeli settlements on Palestinian land as no-longer illegal...
Nov 2019
10:05pm, 18 Nov 2019
8,276 posts
  •  
simbil
They're not all equally bad - some are worse than others and the choice is as ever to pick the least bad.
Nov 2019
10:23pm, 18 Nov 2019
8,718 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
The US decision about Israeli settlements is a very bad one for the rule of law. It says that might is right, grab what you can take and sod the consequences. It's a dictator's charter.
Nov 2019
11:27am, 19 Nov 2019
24,679 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I wonder if HS2 and heathrow are far bigger issues than Corbyn and his blindspot, also, Brunel University, they could make a hole in any majority and Bojo's is 5,000
Nov 2019
11:52am, 19 Nov 2019
15,507 posts
  •  
Chrisull
WS you could be correct, although with Brexit and Tory Remainers, the majority would rather no deal than Corbyn. Interestingly a couple of journos on doorsteps say it feels same as 2017 (Labour vote not deserting them as much as predicted), and no love at all for Johnson. One difference is that anti-semitism is definitely more a deal breaker than Brexit for potential Corbyn backers.
Nov 2019
12:07pm, 19 Nov 2019
24,680 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Possibly. I have found it all so terrible so far, because they are all wandering about trying to not talking about Brexit (there are a lot of other things to be doing), but and it is a huge BUT, the first thing and thing that will take up loads of time come the result is Brexit, and Labour are shite on it, Bojo can just say, we'll get it done. The Troy vote held up remarkably well in 2017.

BTW, I think Swinson is awful too, for balance.
Nov 2019
1:09pm, 19 Nov 2019
12,778 posts
  •  
richmac
Just wondering what bad news for the government is keeping Prince Andrew on the front pages?

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.