Politics

10 lurkers | 212 watchers
Nov 2019
8:51am, 18 Nov 2019
33,258 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks for signposting that Uxbridge youth voters campaign guys. That is brilliant. Votey McVoteface (campaign for canal boat and other residents with no address, which is a large number in Johnson's constituency), Females against Facism, Grime4Corbyn and other groups. And the Labour 25 year old candidate, son of an Iranian immigrant and former Brunel student union president sounds awesome. Come on young 'uns. That would be best Christmas present ever! Along with a Tory loss at the overall GE! :-) G
Nov 2019
9:34am, 18 Nov 2019
3,631 posts
  •  
run free
BJP are trying to convince the Hindus to vote conservative

channel4.com
Nov 2019
10:05am, 18 Nov 2019
9,491 posts
  •  
larkim
The problem in Uxbridge surely is that the youth will struggle to find a single opponent to defeat Bojo? Unless they are unified behind "someone", it will fail.
Nov 2019
10:10am, 18 Nov 2019
24,657 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Indeed.
Nov 2019
10:15am, 18 Nov 2019
33,259 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Depends how many they can mobilise - numbers were 3500 new over 18s and 1500 older folk dead. Add on some 18-25s who haven't previously voted and it could be 10K. In which case over turning a 5K majority could even be sprinkled across Labour, Lib Dem, Green and still oust Johnson!

Runfree, yeah, that one came up late last week. Seems really inappropriate.
Nov 2019
10:20am, 18 Nov 2019
22,908 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I don't really buy into the "We should win this time because a load of old people have carked it" logic.
Firstly because it is rather heartless
Secondly because people clearly age into Conservatism as they get older - by and large. Today's pensioner was 18 in 1967 - summer of love and all that. People become less likely to support radical taxation and re-distribution of wealth as they accrue more of it themselves. It's easy to support acquisitive taxation policies when you have nothing to be taxed yourself.
Nov 2019
10:22am, 18 Nov 2019
22,909 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
The secret of taxation policy is to pluck the maximum number of feathers from the goose with the minimum amount of hissing and honking.
Nov 2019
10:30am, 18 Nov 2019
2,378 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
If the aim is to beat Johnson then the obvious thing to do is vote for whoever came closest last time. Provided it's not BP or UKIP.

I'll be voting Labour for that very reason. They're my best chance of seeing the back of the Tory incumbent.
Nov 2019
10:34am, 18 Nov 2019
2,379 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
I must be an outlier then. 62 and still a lefty. My brother in law must also be an outlier. Multi millionaire who insists on paying every single penny he owes in tax and refuses to consider any of the avoidance schemes his accountant puts to him.
Nov 2019
10:40am, 18 Nov 2019
3,756 posts
  •  
Raemond
From the article it seemed like the Labour candidate, former president of the student's union who came to the UK as a five year old refugee from Iran, would be the one to go for.

I'd love if it he could oust de pfeffel, it would be beautiful. And that's coming from a card carrying Lib Dem.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.