Politics

12 lurkers | 212 watchers
Nov 2019
11:20am, 18 Nov 2019
2,380 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Perhaps if all the other candidates stood aside.
Nov 2019
11:58am, 18 Nov 2019
11,441 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
The Conservatives got 69% of the over-70 vote in 2017, Labour got 19%. 84% of over-70s voted too. That mostly explains things like employment status and education correlating with how you vote. If you have a job, you were more likely to vote Labour than Conservative in 2017 primarily because you're not old enough to be retired. If you pay income tax, you're more likely to have voted Labour than Conservative for the same reason. If you have a degree, you're very much more likely to vote Labour than Conservative because on average people with degrees are younger than the electorate as a whole. This is one reason why I'm sceptical about the effect of Russian social media bots on Brexit. A third of people who voted for Brexit have never used the internet.

"Class" or wealth or income is statistically almost irrelevant in determining how people vote - the Con/Lab split was pretty much the same for AB, C1, C2 and DE at the last election.
Nov 2019
1:56pm, 18 Nov 2019
990 posts
  •  
Brighouse Boy
I see that Corbyn is proposing 1000's of new apprenticeships in the Green/Renewable sector. I like the idea, but I wonder how this would work in practice and how it would be funded?
Nov 2019
2:02pm, 18 Nov 2019
27,146 posts
  •  
macca 53
When you were a teenager employers funded apprenticeships, day release and exam fees - why shouldn’t they again?
Nov 2019
2:08pm, 18 Nov 2019
24,660 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Through the apprenticeships levy, a George Osbourne idea, companies pay a compulsory tax into a fund that can then be accessed (provided it is a real apprenticeship rather than say YTS type dogsbody) to train appenticeships, for 16-18 year olds, why it cannot be anyone of any age is beyond me (but that is the old bugger who got made redundant, I Daniel Blake, in me)
SPR
Nov 2019
2:10pm, 18 Nov 2019
29,673 posts
  •  
SPR
I'm pretty sure the apprentice levy can be used for more than 16-18 year olds.
Nov 2019
2:19pm, 18 Nov 2019
11,444 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
It definitely can. I was involved in setting up degree apprenticeships at my old employer, essentially replacing some of our well-paid & trained summer intern jobs for students with a smaller number of degree apprentices plus a huge bureaucratic overhead. A well-intentioned scheme, but most employers have just treated it as another tax and overall it's had the effect of reducing the number of apprentice numbers but costing much more to run.

Like a number of things introduced by the coalition government, everybody assumed it would be quietly forgotten about in 2015 and then the civil service had to quickly come up with something half-arsed very quickly.
Nov 2019
2:24pm, 18 Nov 2019
24,661 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
ok, so can be used for oldr people, but a cluster fuck, so Corbyn is proposing additional cluster-fuck-wittery? Is that fair? Or has he proposed tightening it all up?
Nov 2019
2:29pm, 18 Nov 2019
11,445 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
I think when you have large parts of the country with essentially full employment, it's going to be difficult to find people to take up these roles unless Brexit hits the economy even harder than expected. I think the same problem applies to the infrastructure spending plans of both main parties - where are the people to build new hospitals etc. actually going to come from?
Nov 2019
2:47pm, 18 Nov 2019
6,903 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I’ve seen the Apprenticeship Levy used for MBAs

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.