Politics

13 lurkers | 212 watchers
Nov 2019
1:34pm, 20 Nov 2019
9,525 posts
  •  
larkim
LOL, perhaps I just expect too much of people!! When I read a tweet though I read what is in it (i.e. the text in the 280 characters), rather than any ancilliary stuff. I'm probably just doing it wrong!! If the @handle doesn't make sense to me, then I'd go to the official account name. But in fairness, I'm not a hugely enthusaistic twitter user anyway.
Nov 2019
1:38pm, 20 Nov 2019
24,694 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Raab is correct in one way.

CCHQ has 76,900 followers, the brexit vote consituted 33,550,000, so in one way Twitter deserves to be minimised, most, the VAST majority of people could not give a fuck about twitter, could not give a fuck about CCHQ_Press, or anything that is said on it.

Unfortunately the media does, it loves it, mainly because it is lazy 'journalism' and easy headlines, and as such it has to be taken notice of, and that trick last night should roundly criticised.

However, If you ask me it's worked out for them as it has got people talking about them and their policies and pointing out Corbyn's weaknesses, it as if the attitude is no publicity is bad publicity, unless you are Andrew Windsor.
Nov 2019
1:45pm, 20 Nov 2019
6,907 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Have no interest in

1) Twitter

2) Any news story which mentions “people’s reactions to something on Twitter”

It’s loved by the metropolitan media-political complex elite, I don’t know a single person who has an account let alone uses it regularly.
Nov 2019
1:52pm, 20 Nov 2019
10,162 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
TMW, do you consider being on Fetch with people as "knowing" them, even slightly?

Take a look at the profile page of various Fetchies (mine included) and you'll see a box headed "twitter feed" with their latest updates in. In fairness, mine is mostly humble-bragging ;-) or about running :-) , and hasn't been updated since the end of October. But I have been reading the twitterstuff on and off over the last few days.

Although it is largely the digital equivalent of shouting at the TV, the shouting goes further and can have an influence.

However, I have purposely limited my ranting to on here where the commentators are basically too well balanced to be influenced by such stuff!
Nov 2019
1:52pm, 20 Nov 2019
20,045 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
It does shows the Tories are campaigning on social media. This was entirely Labour’s domain in 2017. Clumsy, and probably counter productive but there’s probably stuff out there that has worked.
Nov 2019
1:57pm, 20 Nov 2019
2,382 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
If our elders and betters spent as much time actually governing the country as they do pratting around on social media I suspect might not be where we are now.

If you want my vote: knock on my door, stop me on the street, send me a letter. Otherwise you can fuck right off...
Nov 2019
2:17pm, 20 Nov 2019
6,908 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Markymarkmark - nope not really. I didn’t know there was a twitter feed on this website and haven’t got the curiosity to explore it.

Agree with Fellrunning that perhaps more effort from our politicians on running the country rather than tweeting about running the country would be helpful
Nov 2019
2:18pm, 20 Nov 2019
33,308 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lol at folk on a website forum telling people that they don't do social media. Some of you have been on here for 10 years, yacking away! :-) G
Nov 2019
2:25pm, 20 Nov 2019
24,695 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I do this, but not twitter.
Nov 2019
2:27pm, 20 Nov 2019
9,526 posts
  •  
larkim
On my fb feed I've been get a *lot* of pro-brexit / pro-Tory propaganda stuff as sponsored articles. FB at least allows you to see some of the reasons why it's made it into your feed. Apparently I'm "interested in Boris Johnson" which has been why I get the pro Tory stuff. I've been flagging them first of all as "fake news" but also just disabling them, though I wonder if in hindsight it is better to see it so that at least I have some insights into how the echo chamber on the Tory side operates and what it says. Otherwise all I have is pro Corbyn stuff, which if it wasn't an election period I'd be rebutting in some cases!!

I don't think I can go back and see who the advertisers are / were but they all seemed to have wierd and wonderful names - things like "Parents for progress" etc - that don't at all tell you where they are coming from politically. I'd like to think I'm immune to having opinions swayed by this sort of stuff, but I'm sure plenty of people click through and digest it.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.