Politics

17 lurkers | 212 watchers
Nov 2019
9:44am, 20 Nov 2019
770 posts
  •  
Roberto
My fiancee watched and said she was much more impressed by corbyn than johnson (she has never really watched either of them debate) and takes my lead on politics so that's a win in my eyes.

She did feel that Julie E clearly favoured corbyn as well though.
Nov 2019
9:46am, 20 Nov 2019
31,049 posts
  •  
LindsD
To be fair, Johnson kept talking over her so I wouldn't be surprised if she favoured Corbyn.
Nov 2019
9:56am, 20 Nov 2019
6,906 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I didn’t watch it, these are always very predictable and serve nothing but to entrench people’s views. Most people’s perceptions of how well each person did will be informed by their own bias.

From listening to a brief analysis, Boris didn’t really lose any ground, Corbyn didn’t really gain anything.
Nov 2019
10:06am, 20 Nov 2019
2,381 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Glad I don't have a TV so wasn't tempted to lose an hour of my life on it....
Nov 2019
11:53am, 20 Nov 2019
10,156 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
I watched a recording of "The Accident" instead.

Leaving aside the obvious potential similarity in the title of the drama and the content of the debate ( ;-) ), I suspect the drama will stick in my mind a lot longer than the clips I've seen/heard of the debate!
Nov 2019
12:16pm, 20 Nov 2019
15,597 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I watched this as I feel it is important to help form views. I was left feeling a bit underwhelmed. Corbyn started well but performed badly on what he would campaign for ion his brexit deal. Johnson knew this but overlaboured the point and he would have been better moving in to other things.

I guess though that it just confirmed my view that I cannot vote for either
Nov 2019
1:14pm, 20 Nov 2019
10,159 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
So, Mr Raab.... if "no one gives a toss about the social media cut and thrust", why did your party apparatus feel it necessary to change the name of your social media Twitter account?

bbc.co.uk

Just convinces me they are even more untrustworthy.
Nov 2019
1:19pm, 20 Nov 2019
9,523 posts
  •  
larkim
I honestly doubt the twitter account name thing had any impact on the night - if you weren't already following @CCHQPress you'd not see anything, and if you did see a retweet surely you'd just see the @CCHQPress rather than the account name? In which case, it just makes the exercise seem very badly judged indeed - all they've got out of it is bad press, rather than any discreet traction about having unpicked Corbyn's facts etc.

Makes them look very foolish. Though if anyone will really care, I'm not sure.

I've not watched the debate, though i did watch some of Newsnight afterwards. The usual consenses is that in debates the incumbent has the most to lose, so getting out of it "on par" is probably as best as BJ could really expect, without Corbyn doing something really daft. I was hoping BJ would get goaded into some election defining gaff or phrase, sadly that didn't arise.
Nov 2019
1:26pm, 20 Nov 2019
6,687 posts
  •  
paul the builder
I agree the CCHQ misdirection was foolish, and it seems there *might* just be enough criticism and backlash today to have made it a net negative.

But lark you're naive if you think people read twitter handles that carefully. Twitter is absolutely full of people who plainly don't read properly. The parody Boris Johnson account (@BorisJohnson_MP) imitated what CCHQ did (new avatar - the Tory blue tree, new name - CCHQ Press) and got a whole bunch of serious replies, as if they were CCHQ.

Don't minimise it.
Nov 2019
1:33pm, 20 Nov 2019
10,160 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
I know a whole raft of people who now tweet (instead of shouting at the TV?) as things are actually being broadcast. Anything with the right hashtag that they're following will have cropped up on their screen.

Especially those of the younger lot who are interested in politics. Check out #BBCQT some time!

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.