Politics

16 lurkers | 213 watchers
Nov 2019
10:06am, 14 Nov 2019
42,292 posts
  •  
Diogenes
My Mum would ask my Dad who to vote for.
Nov 2019
10:11am, 14 Nov 2019
1,385 posts
  •  
Weean
Apparently Willie Whitelaw called me 'a beautiful baby' when campaigning for the October 1974 election. I'm not sure I've met a polititian since, although I did witness from afar my constituency MP opening a village fete, and I have emailed him in the past.
Nov 2019
10:12am, 14 Nov 2019
42,293 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Isn't is apparent to anyone and everything that Johnson is a completely incompetent, lying twat, Farage is an utter dickhead and shyster, Rees-Mogg is a hyper-priviliged snob?. That all they have in common is arrogance, ambition & avarice. There is no compulsion to serve anyone but themselves and money.

When you see decent people in the house who speak clearly and plainly, and who clearly live in the real world (Jess Phillips comes to mind), why are we led by the fuckwits?
Nov 2019
10:49am, 14 Nov 2019
23,004 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Maybe there are more fuckwits than you anticipate :-)
Nov 2019
12:41pm, 14 Nov 2019
30,882 posts
  •  
LindsD
*applauds Dio*
Nov 2019
1:49pm, 14 Nov 2019
2,370 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Happy :Macca's grandmothers attitude to the poppy is not that unusual for the period. Widows and bereaved sweethearts would often throw real poppies at war memorials, where they would wither and die, as a symbolic protest at the industrial loss of life.

You'll know, from my writings, that as an ex serviceman myself I have reservations about the poppy fetish. Its not that I disapprove of remembrance per se but I have a problem with the almost puritanical idea of no poppy = no respect. I can (seriously) wear both my own and my Dad's medal ribbons at a remembrance service (and Dad won the DFC) and still attract glares from old ladies if there's no poppy tucked behind them.
Nov 2019
2:05pm, 14 Nov 2019
33,214 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
FR, thanks for explanation. It's amazing the vitriol that some critics will throw around on any topic, but especially on issues of perceived patriotism, or lack thereof. I'm sorry that you experience such lack of respect.

I wasn't aware of the poppy's history, and possible interpretation as a "upper class excuse" that an enlisted man, or their family, might not identify with.

I had to google DFC. That's a very distinguished medal, you must be very proud of your Dad.
Nov 2019
9:39pm, 14 Nov 2019
16,859 posts
  •  
Chrisity
With regards to Brexit party supporters feeling betrayed by Farrage, that assumes some ability to rational thinking that their membership of said party seems to contradict.

Can the press please ignore him - he has no more right to publicity in this election than i have, can he please go to brussels and do what he has been paid to do.
Nov 2019
11:43pm, 14 Nov 2019
30,902 posts
  •  
LindsD
That ^
Nov 2019
8:33am, 15 Nov 2019
33,228 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
He's still leading a party fielding 300 plus candidates and likely to win 5% of the vote share, and has in the past and possibly again, had more vote share than Lib Dems, SNP or Greens, hasn't he? Odious horror and I wish I never had to see / hear him again, but he's a factor in British politics, unfortunately, for last 5 years. He's got us to the terrible place we're in, really. He *is* Brexit.

Sturgeon is stuffing up, imho. I really don't see how linking Scottish independence referendum with SNP possible support of Labour helps either SNP or Labour. It is just another split. They should be uniting behind a 2nd Brexit Ref - even if Labour still don't know what they would campaign for in such a ref. Scottish independence just confuses things. Need to concentrate on getting rid of Brexit first.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.