Politics

11 lurkers | 213 watchers
Nov 2019
8:46am, 15 Nov 2019
24,647 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Given that health care, education, sport and the arts, environment, housing are devolved a GE election in Scotland is a very different thing to a GE in England and Wales, is it not? So I am asking, what else has she to go on about, apart from Brexit and Independence, seems fair to me.

I would agree that perhaps there needs to be a united front on Brexit, but, as ever Corbyn is a leaver, and Labour are allegedly 'neutral' with their pathetic position, so there cannot be a united front.

As it happens I also find the LDs position of just cancelling the result of a vote, awful, remain, as before are a mess.
Nov 2019
8:48am, 15 Nov 2019
10,119 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Sturgeon has to link the election to indyref2 so she can claim she has a mandate for it when they win the majority of Scottish seats. Simple as that. For the snp the only thing they care about is independence.

I saw the youngest candidate standing in the election is a Scottish green and is 19. He is getting trolled by snp supporters accusing him of splitting the pro indy vote and telling him to stand down! I can't seem to link to the actual tweet but he is @CamiGlasgowSGP on twitter. Here is what he said:

I am proud to be Scotland's Youngest Candidate!

I am not running for the sake of a career, I am not running to split the vote, I am running for my future; for our future. Why should I trust the same politicians and parties who have left us in this mess to begin with? πŸ΄σ §σ ’σ ³σ £σ ΄σ ΏπŸ’šβœŠ

Comments like these :

You are "not running to spilt the vote" but your action of running will spilt the vote.

Reality is your Party will have a much greater voice once Scotland is independent again.

Scotland will go Green, big time, but we have to get there first.

Stand down, for all our futures.
Nov 2019
9:01am, 15 Nov 2019
33,230 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Um, those first 3 comments aren't unpleasant, they are just expressing an opinion. Not sure I'd call that trolling. And the Greens do have a formal coalition with SNP in Scottish Parliament.

But yes, I applaud a young person representing their beliefs in an election. Good for him. :-) G
Nov 2019
9:05am, 15 Nov 2019
1,570 posts
  •  
Surelynot
There's already a mandate for a second independence referendum in Scotland as passed by the Scottish Parliament.
SPR
Nov 2019
9:08am, 15 Nov 2019
29,663 posts
  •  
SPR
Boris is on 5Live answering questions from the public if anyone wants to call in...
Nov 2019
9:09am, 15 Nov 2019
33,231 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Again, as an independence supporter, I'd say "now is not the time". Let's kill Brexit first and save the UK, before we embark on any Scottish voyage of difficulty! :-) G
Nov 2019
9:10am, 15 Nov 2019
10,120 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
They are telling him to stand down as if the snp has a right to win that seat! I believe some Scottish greens have already stood down in some seats to give the snp free reign. It's pretty negative to try to persuade someone to stand down I think.
Nov 2019
9:14am, 15 Nov 2019
33,232 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I agree mrs s. Shouldn't be directed at the individual. At a party HQ level though, there can be agreements to work together for a common interest e.g. I think Lib Dems, Greens and Plaid Cymru in England are agreeing not to stand in each other's way in order to maximise the Brexit Remain vote.

But no, he shouldn't be intimidated or threatened individually, of course not. But he is representing a party and if that party has an agreement with another party he should abide by that. Otherwise you can stand for another party or as an Independent.
SPR
Nov 2019
9:15am, 15 Nov 2019
29,664 posts
  •  
SPR
I think it's pragmatic if you have similar aims.

Until (if) we get PR, the fact is getting 25k of votes for a cause over two parties achieves nothing if neither gets above a party that gets 15k that will do the total opposite.
Nov 2019
9:23am, 15 Nov 2019
2,426 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
We have family in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales. My humble opinion is that it's nuts that only the ones living in Scotland can vote against Scottish independence to keep our wider family from being split up by Nationalists (as in suddenly becoming foreigners).

It's also uncomfortable for the ones living in Scotland seeing flag waving pro-indy nationalist marches. Nationalism isn't a good thing ever in my opinion as it's designed to be 'us and them'.

Ironically, the brexit vote (which also attracts a nationalist type of person amongst others) is leading to a rise in deeper nationalism across the UK. I don't think many Brexit voters realised that they may get more nationalism than they bargained for.

My view won't be popular. But I am as uneasy as the Scottish based relatives about nationalism and always will be.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.