Politics

11 lurkers | 213 watchers
Nov 2019
10:13am, 13 Nov 2019
2,367 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
The reason that people fall for the Johnson act isn't that they think he's one of the common herd. It's because they think they're a cut above the common herd and on a level with Johnson and his ilk.

They watch Downtown Abbey and forget where they came from. They also forget that people like Johnson want to send them right back there...
Nov 2019
10:17am, 13 Nov 2019
9,474 posts
  •  
larkim
I get why people like Boris as a personality - lovable buffoon, always a quip on his lips, wasn't he good fun on HIGNFY, bit of a rake etc etc.

I just don't get how they see that translating into competent authority to run the country. I don't believe most people see themselves as on an par with Johnson, but neither do I see them believing that he understands and empathises with their lifestyles. Perhaps they aspire to be like him? Worrying...
Nov 2019
10:20am, 13 Nov 2019
30,852 posts
  •  
LindsD
I don't think that most people think about it that deeply. They vote with their newspapers, or Facebook friends.
Nov 2019
12:09pm, 13 Nov 2019
9,249 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
So Elon Musk is building his Tesla cars and Batteries in Germany rather than UK, because Brexit makes the UK a risky place to invest.

So. Much. Investment.
Nov 2019
12:15pm, 13 Nov 2019
9,478 posts
  •  
larkim
@LindsD - I find that hard to stomach (though I'm sure you're right!), I couldn't let my vote be dictated by anything other than my own thoughts!
Nov 2019
12:29pm, 13 Nov 2019
30,856 posts
  •  
LindsD
Ditto. I hope I'm being too cynical. But fear not.
Nov 2019
1:09pm, 13 Nov 2019
12,705 posts
  •  
richmac
I used to work with a woman who voted tory 'because her Dad always did. This is the level of wanton lack of self determination the country faces.

Oh yes she was thick as pig shit, but I'd figured that out way before discovering the reason for her political allegiance.
Nov 2019
1:10pm, 13 Nov 2019
12,706 posts
  •  
richmac
Fozz, it's not only Brexit why tesla have chosen Germany, but the extra fog of Brexit probably too the UK out of the equation.
Nov 2019
1:45pm, 13 Nov 2019
18,950 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I used to work with a bloke who always votes Tory because he claims "Gordon Brown sacked me".

He was a temp agency grunt working a low-level admin role in a civil service department outstation, and is the laziest man I've ever met. Some of the temps were made permanent and appointed to the CS department concerned, he was one of a number who weren't.
Nov 2019
2:50pm, 13 Nov 2019
27,135 posts
  •  
macca 53
My in laws always voted conservative “because they were so good to us when we wanted you children to go to university” - no they weren’t that was the law back then so they had to do it (grants - remember them?)

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.