Politics

5 lurkers | 213 watchers
Nov 2019
7:11am, 7 Nov 2019
9,406 posts
  •  
larkim
As said above, the stories of advice being ignored and a positive outcome ensuring are more noteworthy than tales of advice being given, heeded and positive outcomes resulting.

More often than not the professional advice will be spot on and encouraging an attitude which disrupts that presumption can be very dangerous. And that attitude pervades much of the current Tory leadership thinking across many issues.
Nov 2019
8:07am, 7 Nov 2019
745 posts
  •  
Roberto
What are peoples views on church leaders promoting a party/candidate?

A reverend I know is pushing conservative party on his facebook page and has been at their campaign centre boxing leaflets (with photos of him and the candidate). Obviously he has sway with voters and regardless of his view, pushing one party over another will mean that some of his constituents are made worse off.
Nov 2019
8:14am, 7 Nov 2019
9,407 posts
  •  
larkim
I don't think you can be Christian and vote Tory, so I'd be having him struck off.
Nov 2019
8:16am, 7 Nov 2019
30,632 posts
  •  
LindsD
:)
Nov 2019
8:26am, 7 Nov 2019
3,683 posts
  •  
Raemond
Agree with Larks, Tory policies are pretty incompatible with the gospel.
Nov 2019
8:28am, 7 Nov 2019
9,408 posts
  •  
larkim
Having said that, I don't think there should be a bar on religious leaders being political or indeed approving one party (candidate) or another. Standing by whilst un-Christian policies are potentially being imposed would be failing in their duty. Whether individual religious ministers really feel they can align themselves with a particular person or party is up to them, but they certainly shouldn't stay away from the political arena - they *should* be a force for overall good!!
Nov 2019
8:33am, 7 Nov 2019
3,684 posts
  •  
Raemond
I some other european countries there are Christian parties (Germany and NL spring to mind but I'm sure there are others), though whether they really push any care for the poor, encourage the rich to give away all their money, treat everyone as your neighbour policies is a different matter.

Too often, I fear, they're just another force for repression, social control, and protecting the sort of entrenched power structures that would crucify anyone preaching love and peace if they seemed to be getting too big a following.
Nov 2019
8:55am, 7 Nov 2019
1,686 posts
  •  
Pothunter
It’s a difficult one. Should be he preaching it from the pulpit? Probably not. But in his personal capacity? Harder to prevent. Where do you draw the line in terms of community leaders and what they should/shouldn’t do? What about the local teachers or doctors or pharmacists?
Nov 2019
8:57am, 7 Nov 2019
33,077 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I think there should be a bar on church leaders, and possibly churches full stop, but I accept that my views are probably quite extreme! :-) G
Nov 2019
9:04am, 7 Nov 2019
983 posts
  •  
puzzler
I remember during the 1983 general election our school chaplain (who was a member of the Tory party) carefully explaining to the whole school during an assembly that God was a Conservative. I was outraged and amazed that most of my fellow pupils seemed to view it as a self evident truth. There's a reason that I hated that petty small minded school.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.