Politics

18 lurkers | 213 watchers
Nov 2019
3:12pm, 6 Nov 2019
16,204 posts
  •  
Stander
What he said was that is it common sense to leave a burning building.

And you are all trying to tell me that it isn't. You are all wrong.
Nov 2019
3:20pm, 6 Nov 2019
35,141 posts
  •  
Nellers
Sorry Stander. I didn't realise you were an expert in Fire Safety with more experience and insight than the London Fire Brigade.

Are you familiar with the research of Kruger and Dunning?
Nov 2019
3:21pm, 6 Nov 2019
22,959 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
My common sense tells me that this is one of Stander's hilarious "grenades".
Nov 2019
3:22pm, 6 Nov 2019
30,612 posts
  •  
LindsD
I refer you to my earlier comment.
Nov 2019
3:22pm, 6 Nov 2019
300 posts
  •  
Non-runner
Perhaps if he had said something like “advice to stay in a burning building seems counterintuitive” or something would have been a better phrase? When you look at similar disasters such as plane fires, 9/11 or the Costa Concordia, Sadly it seems that the ones who survive are those who ignore instructions and clamber over seats to get TFO rather than the ones who wait hopefully at their muster stations while the water rises. The real fault of course lies with the cost cutting and building tweaking that over time rendered the original advice to stay put void. Corporate memory, or lack of, in such cases is a real problem, so many fingers in the pie.
Nov 2019
3:24pm, 6 Nov 2019
30,613 posts
  •  
LindsD
Perhaps he could have just kept his opinions to himself?
Nov 2019
3:27pm, 6 Nov 2019
35,142 posts
  •  
Nellers
Non-runner, I wonder how many of the disasters that we hear about wouldn't have been disasters at all if the required safety measures had been in place to make the advice to stay put wise. Staying at muster points works if a building is up to regulation, as far as I can tell.
Nov 2019
3:36pm, 6 Nov 2019
301 posts
  •  
Non-runner
I agree, hence my concerns about corporate memory and knowing what changes have been made to original plans, hard to do when buildings are changing management and contractors all the time and these just move on to the next job. However I honestly don’t know why JRM felt the need to say anything at all.
Nov 2019
3:38pm, 6 Nov 2019
33,074 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lol Fetch. While your comment is amusing, I'm afraid his isn't. So much as I generally can enjoy a bit of Stander humour, not this time. People died following the advice of those trying to protect them. That isn't a subject for levity, in my book.
Nov 2019
3:42pm, 6 Nov 2019
29,124 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Apologies for the language in this clip (if you can open it) JRM comment has made me so angry, I fail to understand how anyone can defend it.

facebook.com

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.