Politics

9 lurkers | 213 watchers
Nov 2019
4:59pm, 5 Nov 2019
33,065 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
All that larks. But also, I think they were implying that voters are just less likely to give an honest answer than before. Or rather less likely to actually do what they said they would do when asked. Hence, less valid polling.

I don't know what the reason is, but could it be things like:
* more / too much information

* social / peer influences are faster moving (social media etc)
* less like to follow family / work groupings (less union membership now, less "career" employment, less work association)
Nov 2019
12:06pm, 6 Nov 2019
9,224 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
So, so far the Tory campaign has been:
1. Go back on a promise to allow Parl a vote on extending transition period if required (not agreement is going to be signed in 6 months)
2. The leader of the house says that people died at Grenfel because they were stupid and that he is cleverer than them (then has had to apologise and go and hide)
3. The Tory candidate sent out to defuse the situation reinforces the idea that Tory MP candidates think they are cleverer than everyone else.
4. CCHQ sends out a blatently and transparently doctored video of Keir Starmer.
5. CCHQ then says the doctored video was "just a bit of fun"
6. James Cleverley (Tory party chairman) then says actually video was "edited" because it was originally too long (on GMB)
7. James Cleverley then says the video was satirical on LBC.
8. James Cleverley then empty chaired on Sky News because he failed to turn up.
9. Facebook removes advert from an allied Tory group (run by former BJ aide) because it was basiclally making shit up.
10. Tories try to use govt machinery in for electoral gain by using civil service to cost Lab proposals. Slapped down my Mark Sedwell.

All in 48 hours...
Nov 2019
12:09pm, 6 Nov 2019
9,225 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Oh and

11. Refusing to publish a report (by order of the PM) into potential Russian meddling in UK elections...until after a UK election
Nov 2019
12:11pm, 6 Nov 2019
9,226 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
12. Welsh sec having denied knowing knowledge about the actions of a former aide in a rape trial is proved to have known about the actions of said aide and endorsed him anyway.
13. Welsh sec forced to resign from cabinet over aforementioned transgressions.
Nov 2019
12:17pm, 6 Nov 2019
1,559 posts
  •  
Surelynot
Welsh Secretary is expecting to resign any time now.

14. Ross Thomson, Tory MP for Aberdeen South, has stood down after allegations of groping another MP in one of the subsidised bars at Westminster. This was not the first allegation and brings into question the procedures in place for managing such allegations.

15. A Tory candidate makes remarks on Facebook about benefit claimants needing to be 'put down'.
Nov 2019
12:18pm, 6 Nov 2019
16,203 posts
  •  
Stander
I am the only person that actually agrees that it IS actually common fucking sense to leave a burning building, and that saying so doesn't actually imply that I am in any way cleverer than you.

It really is just nothing more than common fucking sense.

And as subsequent investigations have shown, the contrary advice given at the time by the fire brigade was wrong.

But god forbid we actually ever use our own brains and never question anything anyone ever tells us, eh?
Nov 2019
12:18pm, 6 Nov 2019
9,401 posts
  •  
larkim
That's great news on the launch day for their campaign. I wonder what the headlines will be:-
Conservative campaign launch? OR
Ministerial resignation?

:-)

Come on Corbyn!!
Nov 2019
12:25pm, 6 Nov 2019
1,560 posts
  •  
Surelynot
Alun Cairns has resigned. Alleged issues with truthfulness.
Nov 2019
12:26pm, 6 Nov 2019
9,227 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Stander, you are claiming that you are cleverer than the Grenfell victims.

They were told to stay put by the Fire Brigade - whom they trusted to be the position of authority at that moment.

Yes, it has been shown that this advice was wrong.

But what you are saying is that you would have ignored the advice from the people who were in a position of authority and not trusted them.

From a position of 20/20 hindsight.

If a fire person had told me to stay put in that position, I'd probably have stayed put. Because we have to trust that they know what they are doing.

But that's not the point here. It's the complete lack of compassion and understanding that JRM and Bridgen showed for the victims in the way they potrayed themselves as being smarter.
Nov 2019
12:31pm, 6 Nov 2019
3,673 posts
  •  
Raemond
AFAIK he advice from the fire brigade was based on the (usually sound) theory that fire doors and retardant materials would stop the fire spreading too quickly through the building, whereas opening fire doors in order to escape would accelerate the spread.

It was the unknown/misunderstood factor of the cladding that made that advice not appropriate in that particular circumstance.

So a 'clever' person in posession of the same information as the fire brigade would likely have come to the same conclusion they did.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.