Politics

5 lurkers | 213 watchers
Nov 2019
10:35am, 5 Nov 2019
15,473 posts
  •  
Chrisull
The Mogglodyte today saying victims "lacked common sense" in the Grenfell Tower tragedy. It's almost like they don't want to win?

As for Labour - well to be honest , the only logically coherent position is that they could follow is to negotiate a new deal then campaign to Leave (you can't campaign against your own deal, that's barmy). I'm surprised no-one else has seen, that must be the position. They're just not shouting it out loud that's all.

I have no problem with that if it is put to a second referendum.
Nov 2019
11:02am, 5 Nov 2019
8,259 posts
  •  
simbil
They are saying that they will decide whether to campaign for or against it based on what they manage to negotiate last I heard?

It is a weak position and they will get a good kicking for it every time it comes up.
Nov 2019
11:03am, 5 Nov 2019
9,219 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
More total dishonesty from the govt.

No extension to the transition period from end 2020 (and we'll have a trade deal with the EU).

It's taken 3 years to negotiate a (highly contentious) deal with exactly 3 issues.

7 months (remember we need to trigger extension by July) to agree a deal on over 60+ issues? Utter nonsense.

Either it means no deal and they're being dishonest

Or it means they're lying about needing an extension to the transition.

And all this means more uncertainty.
jda
Nov 2019
11:09am, 5 Nov 2019
5,809 posts
  •  
jda
Barely a couple of hours in and I'm heartily sick of the the lot of them to be honest. Including the ones I'm going to vote for.
Nov 2019
11:11am, 5 Nov 2019
8,260 posts
  •  
simbil
And labour saying 3 months to renegotiate the withdrawal agreement and Lib Dem’s saying £50bn remain windfall.
Tories lie is arguably the biggest, but they are all at it unfortunately.
Nov 2019
11:13am, 5 Nov 2019
9,220 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
My reading is that Lab won't renegotiate the WA itself, but instead the PD.

Because that isn't binding, that *could* be done in 3months.
Nov 2019
11:16am, 5 Nov 2019
9,387 posts
  •  
larkim
Labour would have an easier job with the EU if they maintained customs union etc etc as part of "leaving". The leadership could credibly campaign for that, but it would be very odd to have a govt negotiated exit deal being actively campaigned against by much of the party leadership.
Nov 2019
11:20am, 5 Nov 2019
9,221 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Also this is a good explanation of why the Brexit Party is more of a problem for Con than Lab. twitter.com

Basically even if Lab Leave voters are more likely to defect to BP, there are simply more Con leave voters that even if a smaller proportion defect.
Nov 2019
11:21am, 5 Nov 2019
9,222 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
...more Con voters overall defect to BP than Lab voters.

(sorry prev post cut off half way through)
jda
Nov 2019
11:29am, 5 Nov 2019
5,813 posts
  •  
jda
The argument of that tweet thread has always seemed blinding obvious to me. Though of course it can depend a bit on the specific distribution of voters across seats. But I really don't see the BP either winning northern labour leave seats or taking away so many more labour voters that they turn tory. Perhaps it could happen in one or two seats, and people will get excited about it. But they will cost the tories more.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.