LindsD
*blocks ears*
jda
Nov 2019
5:54pm, 4 Nov 2019
5,806 posts
  •  
jda
Looking as a bit of an outsider, it seems hard to deny that the Scottish Additional Member system is working better than the UK's FPTP in terms of producing a fair representative parliament that functions reasonably well. And the EU elections regional D'Hondt system also generates a broadly fair result.

FPTP guarantees that the election is decided in a handful of swing seats with the vast majority being safe jobs-for-life for pigs in appropriate-coloured rosettes.
Nov 2019
6:20pm, 4 Nov 2019
15,462 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I voted AV as well, so don't blame me. And even tried to persuade others who were intent on punishing the Lib Dems for being rubbish in the coalition. Sadly the second didn't work.

Anyway more good news poll wise:

Welsh Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 29% (+4)
CON: 28% (-1)
BREX: 15% (+1)
LDEM: 12% (-4)
PC: 12% (-)
GRN: 3% (-1)

via @YouGov, 01 - 04 Nov Chgs. w/ 14 Oct
Nov 2019
6:24pm, 4 Nov 2019
15,463 posts
  •  
Chrisull
And yet more...

FT journo says:

"One pollster told me they thought Labour has to stay below 30% and the Conservatives need to be consistently 8/9pts ahead if Boris Johnson has any hope of winning a majority."

The squeeze has begun.
Quote Tweet

Britain Elects
Westminster voting intention:

CON: 38% (+3)
LAB: 31% (+2)
LDEM: 15% (-1)
BREX: 9% (-2)
GRN: 3% (-1)

via @ICMUnlimited, 01 - 04 Nov
Chgs. w/ Oct
jda
Nov 2019
6:34pm, 4 Nov 2019
5,807 posts
  •  
jda
Polls are a bit of a waste of time at this point. Maybe after a couple of weeks of campaigning. I'm looking forward to frog-face eating the Tory vote.
Nov 2019
6:38pm, 4 Nov 2019
15,464 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Poll figures are a bit useless yet, but direction of travel is interesting, and it's definitely started to move the correct way.
Nov 2019
7:14pm, 4 Nov 2019
8,257 posts
  •  
simbil
BoJo has a truthfulness challenge that should mean it is harder for him to sell future promises to all but his faithful and the foolish. His general popularity is built on personality plus what he has achieved with Brexit so far.

So the Tories seem to have it all to loose - can't see them promising much more spending / tax cuts (if they do, their spending total could over take Labours and it is becoming less credible all the time). Their Brexit stance is now baked in so only stands to be chipped away by Frogage who's powder is still dry (or gone moldy?).

Still early days yet and they might be able to hold their lead if they simply come up with a couple of trite slogans that appeal to hearts over heads.
Nov 2019
7:21pm, 4 Nov 2019
8,258 posts
  •  
simbil
gah - whose not who's.. you know what I meant :)
Nov 2019
9:01pm, 4 Nov 2019
22,867 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I can't see Labour getting a majority but a hung Parliament will, I hope, lead to a sea change in favour of a second ref.

We can't keep on with this cycle of deadlock/election/deadlock. I'd like to think that a Labour coalition government would jump for a new ref fairly quickly because they would have the same problem getting "their" Brexit through Parliament as the Tories have had. But Corbyn is such a stubborn old sod he might continue to chase the Labour Brexit dream - which is actually just a recipe for more floundering around. I still think his idea of negotiating a new deal and then (potentially) having 2/3rds of his party thinking it is a pile of old pooh which they campaign against is an utter nonsense.
Nov 2019
9:22pm, 4 Nov 2019
2,356 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
If the NHS don't want to be used as a political football then perhaps a good start might be to ban visits by political figures for photo opportunities, not least because glad handing doctors and nurses and generally getting in the way prevents those same doctors and nurses from fulfilling their primary function.

And since when did people not get the link between general taxation and levels of public spending as in: If you want Scandinavian levels of service don't expect to pay North American levels of tax....

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.