•  
swittle
^ [some deep trance, maybe?]
Nov 2019
6:15pm, 6 Nov 2019
22,874 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
My suspicion is that Mogg was actually trying (and failing) to be measured in his comments. I suspect his actual thoughts on the situation are probably even more unforgiving.

The current cabinet is a particularly heartless one and my guess is that their opinions are pretty unpalatable across a wide range of subjects but they won't be sharing too many of those in the next 5 weeks, even if they subsequently use their prejudices to guide policy once they have convinced the masses to give them legitimacy.

“How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political power to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics in the twentieth century.”
Nov 2019
8:03pm, 6 Nov 2019
8,261 posts
  •  
simbil
In the US of A they've made liberty/freedom a religion and some of the poor will vote against a health system that would benefit them because it removes freedom of choice.
The UK's current fascination with sovereignty seems to be our own parallel religion that will get some needy folk voting to be poorer too.

Looks like Stander flounced for good this time? I'll be watching out for first time posters when/if BoJo wins ;)
Nov 2019
9:01pm, 6 Nov 2019
22,876 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Tom Watson resigns. It looks like the centre/centre right/centre left are being hollowed out, leaving only the hardliners on both sides to alienate the electorate in their own very particular ways.
Nov 2019
9:16pm, 6 Nov 2019
24,548 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Watson is very good, shame, labour not getting my vote, but they weren't anyway, Corbyn mainly.

As for Rees-Mogg, he is a cunt, measured my arse, he knows exactly what he was saying and why, he doesn't give a fuck, he is not thoughtless he is pandering to his kind. It is not just the insensitivity, he doesn't care, he has no thought for people who will not vote for him as JB says they are heartless and care not a jot, even worse, it seems to me there is an aspect that I think he (and many like him) consider some people second class citizens, not worthy of any consideration, and the only reason they don't come out and say that straight is that they are a pack of inveterate liars.

This election is a giant fucking shambles. I have no idea what I will do.
Nov 2019
9:39pm, 6 Nov 2019
9,405 posts
  •  
larkim
Probably a good choice by Watson. There remain good moderates in the party, but as an electoral ticket having a single minded Labour ticket is possibly easier to sell.

Though perhaps I'm just putting a +ve spin on things!
Nov 2019
10:34pm, 6 Nov 2019
9,803 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
The thing that most angers me about JRM's comments is that he's saying people should ignore the fire brigade's advice in future fires. It's so fucking irresponsible. How safe would it be to try get down 20+ floors in the dark if they are full of smoke? Unintended consequences because people just don't give a shit about what happens beyond their sound bite.
Nov 2019
11:13pm, 6 Nov 2019
3,623 posts
  •  
run free
Am okay with Corbyn. He would be far better than the loony right that is running the show at the moment.
Nov 2019
6:17am, 7 Nov 2019
12,628 posts
  •  
richmac
Anyone who had lived or even been inside a tower block must know that JRM's comments indicate how out of touch with their reality he is. But more then that it's the continuation of blaming the poor or let's just say working classes for their situation, not the fact they unlike JRM they were not born multi millionaires.
Nov 2019
6:37am, 7 Nov 2019
2,401 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
As an aside and no comment about what is right or wrong on the general advice: About 7 years or so ago, In a maintenance role on a site we looked after, I was called to a fire in a block of flats (ground floor arson) with loads of fire engines outside as the block was effectively terraced so other blocks were thought to be vulnerable. I met some people outside who said the fire brigade had told them to stay inside and they had decided "f*** that'" and left via the stairs (there is no lift). I could understand why they felt that way, but in this instance, where it was mainly a smoke issue, I could see why the fire brigade were telling everyone to stay put (as others did). Fortunately, due to the strict "clear corridor" rules for residents, there was nothing else in the communal areas to catch fire easily and there were no known injuries (smoke can take its toll later). Its a bit easier to make a decision to disregard advice when you have 3 or 4 storeys, but not as Little Nemo says, when you have 20, that's a big risk with smoke.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.