Politics

1 lurker | 213 watchers
Oct 2019
8:58pm, 31 Oct 2019
1,659 posts
  •  
Pothunter
I live in a reasonably safe Labour area, and despite never having voted for him I’m quite happy with our MP. But I can’t bring myself to vote for Corbyn. For that matter I can’t bring myself to vote for Johnson either (having previously voted Conservative since I’ve been eligible).
jda
Oct 2019
9:32pm, 31 Oct 2019
5,779 posts
  •  
jda
bbc.co.uk

You aren’t voting for Corbyn unless you’re in Islington or wherever he is standing.
Oct 2019
9:41pm, 31 Oct 2019
58,067 posts
  •  
swittle
Oven-ready turkey?
Oct 2019
10:02pm, 31 Oct 2019
3,638 posts
  •  
Raemond
The fact that we don't have a presidential system and most of the electorate couldn't possibly vote for [insert party leader name here] is one of my biggest complaints about political reporting in the UK.

I think we've reached the point of no return and the only option is to reform the electoral system because there's fuck all chance of reeducating the electrorate now.
Oct 2019
10:43pm, 31 Oct 2019
1,660 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Technically yes, but if I vote for the Labour candidate and enough others around the country do we’ll end up with Corbyn as PM.

Should Corbyn end up as PM he will claim that the country have voted for him and endorse his values. (Even though technically of course people will have voted for local Labour candidates)

BTW, I have no problem with the ruling party replacing the sitting PM with someone else. I don’t see this as “unelected”. (I do however wish they’d refrain from choosing a nob like BoJo)
Nov 2019
12:05am, 1 Nov 2019
22,859 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I wonder whether Farage is quiet because the Kippers are having an almighty internal scrap about what their strategy should be, given the shine has come off their particular turd and they are looking at a lot of effort for zero seats?
Nigel's vanity train has hit the buffers. I expect him to exit the UK sharpish after the election.
Nov 2019
8:51am, 1 Nov 2019
32,984 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
JB, he's been busy getting his campaign manager Orange Donald to write an inspiring endorsement for him to read out on LBC.

Apparently Farage and Johnson would be an unstoppable force. Like a crazed bull, or an out of control train, so would be great to run the country. Even though Johnson's EU deal is a bad deal for trade with America.

And America doesn't want to buy into the NHS, who suggested that? Oh, you did, a few months ago "The NHS is on the table. Everything is on the table." D Trump (remember Trump means fart in some regional UK dialects. I love language!) :-) G
Nov 2019
9:00am, 1 Nov 2019
3,617 posts
  •  
run free
Hg despite what the orange one says, there have been plenty of suggestions that the US see the NHS as a gold mine. Will have to find an interview with the us foreign secretary as well as the talk of parts of the NHS looking like a great deal! BJ has probably requested that orange does not talk about the NHs being sold out as it is a sensitive issue with people.
Nov 2019
9:05am, 1 Nov 2019
32,988 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Exactly, he was just in denial mode (despite having explicitly said himself that access to NHS was a requirement for future trade deals for UK with US). Grrr.
Nov 2019
9:16am, 1 Nov 2019
15,436 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I can't see Trump intervening as anything else but good for Corbyn. Most Brexiteers I know don't like Trump, even if they like Johnson.

One of the underlying currents (which is why the 350 million figure was so contested and still rankles now) is that this message about more money for the NHS cut through. Certainly some leavers cited it (usually the more remorseful ones, but not always).

Corbyn has been handed an easy attack line, hands of our NHS, and could resonate beyond his abysmal popularity ratings.

(as an aside why are they so abysmal? I mean we're talking makes Donald Trump look popular. He's not a good leader, but we've seen some real turkeys (Major, Cameron, May and now Johnson), he's essentially a bit bumbling, a bit dim, but -60%??? I mean he's the leader of the opposition, not the prime minister, he has limited affect on proceedings. He's popular with a 500k base of Labour. He achieved a better election result than Ed Miliband, a broad swathe of Labour's policies are VERY popular with the public. Everyone spent their time hating Ed Miliband, but that is nothing compared to this. I mean I really don't like Jo Swinson, but I can't get as worked up about her as Johnson or May. Is is the anti-semitism? Is it the attack lines of the press? What has made him exactly so unpopular people are ready to continue with a Tory party that have now started destroying the economy for ideological reasons, have a pathlogical liar and possibly girlfriend beater leading them, and yet he is worse? I mean I wish he'd step down today, but at the same time, between Johnson, Swinson or Corbyn as PM, I'd still take the latter - although I would prefer Lucas).

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.