Politics

19 lurkers | 215 watchers
Sep 2019
4:47pm, 26 Sep 2019
8,186 posts
  •  
simbil
Raemond, Isn't it the case that even with something ratified by the EU and the UK soon after the 19th October, there is a load of other legislation to pass to make it all work?
I'm basing this off commentary earlier in the year that indicated the WA needed to be done and dusted something like 6 weeks before the actual leave date. I may be misrepresenting - but this is what leads me to believe the current negotiations are either a pretence or that BoJo would do a tactical extension just to pass legislation.
Sep 2019
4:51pm, 26 Sep 2019
8,807 posts
  •  
larkim
Agree - a GONU with a very narrow and specific agenda, with an intention to have a very short lifespan, *might* be agreeable to enough to carry a majority. The various party leaders and influential backbenchers would have to think very hard about failing to take the chance to take control over the timing of a GE and 31st Oct if they were presented with that opportunity.

In a rational presentation by a competent party leader (do we have those?) they could simply set out their tactics:-
- We don't believe agreeing to an election controlled by Johnson in terms of timing would allow key issues on Brexit timing to be resolved
- But we do want an election

- Therefore we don't support the FTPA
- First we need to wrest control from Bojo so that we can endeavour to secure a sensible delay to Brexit. We are confident if the EU sees the UK intending to hold an election that a delay is entirely reasonable
- Then we will commit to calling for a fresh election, which we hope the Tories will support to ensure 2/3 of the House calls for it
- THen we come back once elected and a new government, formed however the electorate wishes, will be formed
Sep 2019
5:08pm, 26 Sep 2019
3,341 posts
  •  
Raemond
I think the six week thing included things like the time frame called for in the CRAG (constitutional reform act gsmothingorother...) but much like the FTPA that can be derogated from with a simple majority.

Also, if a deal has been agreed it will almost inevitably include an implementation/transition period which could allow for the status quo to persist where necessary while replacement arrangements are made.
Sep 2019
5:44pm, 26 Sep 2019
20,515 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
The one thing that this thread (and pretty much *any* thread on this subject) illustrates, is just how divisive this whole process has been.

Prior to the poorly conceived referendum and lack of any planning whatsoever with respect to the result - no matter *what* is was -the concept of leaving the EU was not even part of the national consciousness.

And now he have families and colleagues and acquaintances setting up in two polarised camps.

The whole process has broken us as a society and as a Country - and regardless of the outcome - we are likely to remain broken for a generation.

This is a tragedy.
Sep 2019
5:56pm, 26 Sep 2019
667 posts
  •  
Roberto
No offence stander, but you literally called posters on this page stupid just a few pages ago and suggested that only unintelligent people would support May's deal for leaving. But then get upset at other people "hurling insults" at leavers. The majority of which is just because people are asking questions which leavers dont have or dont want to answer rather than actual insults.
Sep 2019
7:48pm, 26 Sep 2019
2,700 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
I find it depressing that almost without exception all 'leavers' seem to gloat about is winning. But what have they won?

A poorer future for our future generations? A reinforcement of bigoted rascist attitudes that date back to the seventies and earlier? A less diverse culture? More little Englanders?
Sep 2019
8:13pm, 26 Sep 2019
2,942 posts
  •  
Goofee
FR, they would explain it but just can't be bothered.
J2R
Sep 2019
8:15pm, 26 Sep 2019
2,291 posts
  •  
J2R
Yes, it's all about 'winning'. But what do they do when they've won, using lies which they know to be lies? They actually then have to deal with reality, with the fact that all the things they dismissed as Project Fear are, in fact, the truth (as they probably knew all along, but chose not to acknowledge, in order to 'win').
Sep 2019
8:28pm, 26 Sep 2019
2,704 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
I really am not bothered about myself, I've had a great time being a 'European'.

But what does bother me. And it really bothers me a great deal. Is that my kids will not have, in the future, what I have enjoyed for the previous decades.

Perhaps I'm just being pessismistic and the future outside of the EU will be great. But my reading of what is happening at the moment just doesn't fill me with optimism.

#sadtimes
Sep 2019
10:13pm, 26 Sep 2019
291 posts
  •  
deslauriers
Last time I looked here, about a month ago, Stander was leaving....

Anyway, he'll be back. He's more robust than to just flounce out.

Genuinely horrified to hear MPs children are considered by some to be acceptable targets of the Brexit Jihad.

As a (severely) lapsed Catholic, I may be tempted to return back to the flock were the Almighty to convince me of a special corner in Hell for the people who incited this hatred.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.