Politics

2 lurkers | 215 watchers
jda
Sep 2019
1:54pm, 26 Sep 2019
5,296 posts
  •  
jda
He hasn't actually made his point. He has asserted that he has done his research and has his reasons, but has been unable to present them here, instead repeatedly claiming that he had already done so when he had not.
Sep 2019
2:00pm, 26 Sep 2019
6,623 posts
  •  
paul the builder
G - Why would you ask that question about NI to a Leaver who is prepared to accept No Deal? The *very fact* that they are prepared to accept No Deal shows that they haven't thought about the border in Ireland, or if they have, they've dismissed it and don't care.

In fact I'd go further. The only coherent Leave position regarding NI is for a border in the sea. And therefore some degree of: internal UK border, some sort of separation of the union, some two-tiering of the UK - however you prefer to think of it. Anyone who voted Leave acknowledging that this was the only logical outcome; then fair enough. The rest of Leave voters (if they imagined some other outcome, or didn't think of it at all) - then thanks a fucking lot (from your NI correspondent).
Sep 2019
2:01pm, 26 Sep 2019
6,624 posts
  •  
paul the builder
jda - I understand that he goes out with a very attractive girl, but she goes to another school and we wouldn't know her. :-)
Sep 2019
2:05pm, 26 Sep 2019
2,697 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
That's precisely why asking a binary question to the situation was stupid.

I guess people have short memories.

When I first started travelling to Belfast I think the Europa Hotel *oh the irony was the one of the most bombed buildings in the world at that time.
Sep 2019
2:10pm, 26 Sep 2019
8,183 posts
  •  
simbil
:)G I'm not sure I've ever seen opinions on why no deal is better than spending more time to get a deal? It was a genuine question seeking to understand some of the nuance / trade offs of the no deal at end of October position.
Sep 2019
2:13pm, 26 Sep 2019
16,092 posts
  •  
Stander
JDA - The polite response is because you are so set in your views anything I say would be pointless.

However, I will also reply in the fashion that you always use (i.e. to continually insult Leave voters):-

JDA - I have neither the time - or crayons - to explain it to you.
Sep 2019
2:13pm, 26 Sep 2019
24,225 posts
  •  
pedroscalls
Was the Europa Hotel ever actually bombed? They said it was but what you have to remember is that it was a glass fronted building directly across the road from a large stone building housing the BBC which was most likely the target, glass shatters far more easily than stone. But I guess that it makes for a better story calling it the most bombed.
Sep 2019
2:16pm, 26 Sep 2019
16,093 posts
  •  
Stander
Paul - I admit to now knowing enough of the Irish issue - despite my son being of partial Irish descent.

I do realise that the issue is a sensitive one, but I do also suggest that those trying to stop Brexit by any means are using the Good Friday Agreement to that ends.

There are plenty of non EU countries that border the EU, and they all seem to manage their trading with it with (relative) ease. There is no reason why it can work for them but not for Ireland.
Sep 2019
2:52pm, 26 Sep 2019
3,336 posts
  •  
Raemond
There are quite a few reasons why the Ireland/NI border isn't the same as any of the current EU external borders.

I find it utterly baffling that anyone my age or older might not be aware of them.
Sep 2019
3:06pm, 26 Sep 2019
8,800 posts
  •  
larkim
THe difference Stander is that broadly there are well guarded and patrolled hard borders between the other countries that have land borders with the EU, often with physical barriers. Something which the GFA expects never to have to have in place on the island of Ireland.

Not to mention the administrative arrangements to properly document all traffic subject to duties etc crossing those borders.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.