Politics

7 lurkers | 215 watchers
Sep 2019
9:05am, 25 Sep 2019
2,333 posts
  •  
B Rubble
In respect of constitutional law, what prevents an embittered PM proroguing parliament for a significant amount of time, say six months, a year, or until the next election? Would the Queen not grant it (unlikely) or would it have to be prevented in the courts like it has been this week? Whatever persuasion we are we should celebrate an independent judiciary who will prevent Boris or Corbyn, acting as a Prime Minister not a President, by-passing parliament.
jda
Sep 2019
9:10am, 25 Sep 2019
5,281 posts
  •  
jda
I think from now on, having established the precedent, the courts would jump on it in a matter of days. There would have to be a really good excuse for anything more than a week(ish), this being the standard sort of period (time to arrange queen's speech and associated regalia).
Sep 2019
9:28am, 25 Sep 2019
15,262 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I'd say what happens next is Johnson is at the whim of Parliament. I hope thatt Parliament ignores Brexit and gets on with some of the 13 odd bills, such as the domestic abuse bill, that was on the statutes and gets them passed and made into law. Then once Johnson has requested an extension on the 17th October, the fun can begin...

Meanwhile... how f**kin stupid are Brexit Party meps? Tweets "wants British fish from British waters" and accidentally includes his untaxed, un MOTed car in the background shot of him eating fish and chips... oh dear, it doesn't end well (turns out Brits don't like "British" fish - i.e. mackerel and export most of their catches):

theneweuropean.co.uk

And just a day later turns out we've overfished the cod once more and will have to stop again:

theguardian.com
Sep 2019
10:01am, 25 Sep 2019
8,769 posts
  •  
larkim
What seemed to undo the Johnson case was a complete absence of non-political, or at least non-brexit stopping rationale for the prorogation. The judgement was clear that they were not presented with any evidence of rationale for the decision other than a brief handwritten note. Read into that what you want (the obvious being that all of the documented rationale for prorogation was entirely to stymie the Hoc).

(I recently moved to a Windsor knot as it's just that bit more symmetrical and keeps my ties in better order I think.)

What will be interesting in Parliament is whether they approve a recess to accommodate the Tory party conference. Labour has obviously cut some of it's conference programme short by bringing JC's speech forward, but all parties (sic) would look a bit daft if they immediately voted to approve a recess (even though a recess is very different from prorogation in terms of still allowing much parliamentary business to continue via committees etc).

I still think VONC > Gov of NU > Formal brexit delay agreed > GE makes the most sense now that they have time to do that in advance of the PM making a "proper" prorogation (or indeed get the PM to take prorogation off the table until post-31st Oct in any event).
Sep 2019
10:06am, 25 Sep 2019
15,265 posts
  •  
Chrisull
It does, but only after no deal is taken off the table. Let's get the work of Parliament done first. I'm sick to death of the real business of this country being sidelined by a fetish for allegedly not being allowed to have bendy bananas. There is plenty that needs doing. Leave the sideshow to the freaks for the time being.

Also turns out in Wales, the Welsh voted for Remain, it was just the affluent English colonisers who stuffed it up:

theguardian.com
Sep 2019
10:09am, 25 Sep 2019
664 posts
  •  
Roberto
Social media doing what it does best just now. A viral post about the Lisbon treaty to scare people into wanting no deal going round again and my manager has just been in to ask me about it and if it's true etc as she saved it on her phone to ask me (as I'm the most politically minded in the office). Pretty much every line of the post is a lie yet its gets hundreds of thousands of likes and shares.
Sep 2019
10:51am, 25 Sep 2019
18,872 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Interesting article about the Brexiteer MP candidate.

Also interestingly, the photo was taken on the seafront at Cleethorpes. A different constituency from the one he wishes to represent, with a sitting no-deal ERG MP.

Please tell me that in another "i'm just like you gov" moment he was eating cod. As fishing communities don't tend to go a bundle on that particular fish and cart it off to the inlanders who tend to prefer the worm-ridden shit-eaters over a delightful piece of haddock.
Sep 2019
10:52am, 25 Sep 2019
18,873 posts
  •  
DeeGee
It was a video, not a photo. Point remains.

Also, a long way from any fish and chip shop. I don't even reckon he had any wrapped up in that newspaper.
Sep 2019
10:55am, 25 Sep 2019
8,770 posts
  •  
larkim
Chris - I'd suggest there is now time for VONC / GoNU to take the lead on avoiding no deal, whereas in the accelerated position as a consequence of Bojo's unlawful prorogation there was no time to be able to push that through. The weakness of the Benn bill is in pushing the key date to about 18th October when an extension has to be agreed, but that timetable was established to account for the prorogation. If prorogation is off the table for now, there's time for Parliament to change the govt with much higher certainty of either the Benn bill actually being acted upon, or a GONU requested a rational deferral of it's own volition.
Sep 2019
11:45am, 25 Sep 2019
9,152 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I wouldn't know what a Windsor knot is or what the other variants are. I just tie my tie the way I do.

Not that I wear ties any more. Stupid things.

Away from brexit. (Please). I note that Hinckley Point C is already over budget and the delivery time has been delayed already.

I seem to remember making this exact point on here a few years ago...

It's a very expensive white elephant to satisfy the fetish for centralised "controllable" power.

I hope everyone picked up on the record low offshore wind auction round the other day.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.