•  
alpenrose
*Raises hands in horror* How on earth would we exist without our devices? :-o
Aug 2019
1:31pm, 5 Aug 2019
33,359 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I don’t even wear a watch when I’m running. On the odd occasion I look at the clock before setting off I’ve forgotten the time again in minutes
Aug 2019
1:32pm, 5 Aug 2019
42,609 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Well, now. Some folk are motivated by quantifying themselves and some aren't :P

(My Garmin comes off when I'm not walking, running, cycling or swimming. Step counts are a bit like sleep metrics and body composition, nothing good can come of me knowing them.)
Aug 2019
2:29pm, 5 Aug 2019
9,409 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Devices that serve me, are good.
Devices that seek to control me or in other ways alter my behaviour in line with the expectations of others, less so.

I choose to put my running watch in the first category, because I want to run faster.
I put step counters, clock cards, and shock collars in the second, because I do not want to know and see no reason why anyone else should either!
Aug 2019
2:34pm, 5 Aug 2019
113,693 posts
  •  
GregP
Thanks V'rap and M3.

I will *try* to take my Fitbit out of my pocket when I get home and put it in a draw.

There's no purpose served by me wearing a Garmin to tennis either, but I always do. Please stop me doing this too.
Aug 2019
2:37pm, 5 Aug 2019
43,920 posts
  •  
GlennR
I have no interest in the step count, but being reminded to walk every hour is useful.
Aug 2019
2:38pm, 5 Aug 2019
113,694 posts
  •  
GregP
I have a tiny bladder that achieves that end.
Aug 2019
2:50pm, 5 Aug 2019
10,866 posts
  •  
Garfield
The nudge to get moving is useful for me...as I sit down and grow roots for hours at work! It's easy to get carried away with what I'm doing sometimes!
Aug 2019
4:20pm, 5 Aug 2019
2,949 posts
  •  
jabberknit
I only wear my Garmin for running, I'd get too obsessive with the numbers if I wore it all the time, and I certainly wouldn't want orders to do things from my wristwatch.

Couldn't run without it though (well, obviously, I could, but I'd never want to - I like to know where I am with my running).

One of our local clubs put on a race last year where you estimated your finish time before you started, then had to run it without any kind of timekeeping device. The winner was whoever got closest to their own guess rather than first across the line. Certainly something different, and proved popular, but I didn't do it!
Aug 2019
4:44pm, 5 Aug 2019
15,375 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
I’ve always liked to map my run & cycle and also record my weights in the gym (run mapping is how I ended up a Fetchie a decade or so ago). Most recently I find that I like to have HR stats and the ability to pre-programme a workout into my watch. I’d hate to feel like I “had” to wear a device all the time and wouldn’t give time to a Fitbit or the like.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Here are the Over 50s League Tables

fetcheveryone.com/league?year=2021&age=50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.