Over 50's club

322 watchers
Jul 2019
6:30pm, 18 Jul 2019
4,553 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
Doc I can definitely say it does not help you sleep!
Jul 2019
7:29pm, 19 Jul 2019
11,560 posts
  •  
UltraDunc
Just a quick racing query, I was about to book the mencap 10k, 5k,1k at Heaton Park mcr but site says it’s been cancelled?
Aug 2019
9:46pm, 2 Aug 2019
18,297 posts
  •  
Columba
Haven't looked at this thread for a while, but now I have and I see glucosamine was mentioned a few pages back.

When I started running in my late 50s, Elder Daughter advised me to take glucosamine to protect my knees "especially at your age, Mum" she added kindly. My knees were not (at the time) giving me any trouble; however, I started taking G&C as a preventative measure. After about 3 months I suddenly realized that the pain in my wrist/thumb joints, which had been more or less constant for some years, had gone. Put it down to the G&C, and continued taking it.
Aug 2019
9:49pm, 2 Aug 2019
42,576 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
There is not a scrap of evidence to support the use of glucosamine and/or chondroitin for any manner of hand or small joint pain.
Aug 2019
9:49pm, 2 Aug 2019
18,298 posts
  •  
Columba
That's nearly 17 years ago.

Wrist/thumb joints still pain free except very occasionally (though visibly misshapen). Knees now arthritic but still runnable.
Aug 2019
10:03pm, 2 Aug 2019
4,796 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Somehow I dropped off this thread and failed to notice. Must be my age...

It was suggested that I take G and C by my Dr about 17 years ago, when I was suffering some post-viral issues. I took up running instead, and still have no joint issues in my lower extremities. Also later gave advice to the same Dr on getting into regular exercise (he was an acquaintance of my wife).
Aug 2019
10:34pm, 2 Aug 2019
35,233 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Funny you should say there is no evidence V'rap and you are probably more knowledgeable than us BUT since reading a few pages back when we spoke about it before, my bottle was finished and I never bought anymore G&C and I have to admit I have been feeling my knees again when running so I will be buying again this weekend
Aug 2019
10:42pm, 2 Aug 2019
42,577 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It's not all all funny that I should say there's no evidence for something for which there's no evidence, I hope it's entirely predictable :)
Aug 2019
9:22pm, 3 Aug 2019
18,301 posts
  •  
Columba
I'm an experiment of one, Velo. An unplanned experiment.
Aug 2019
12:33pm, 5 Aug 2019
113,689 posts
  •  
GregP
THis has been entertaining us on the Smel (tri) thread.

bbc.com

I particularly enjoyed the last three paragraphs:

...counting steps at all risks robbing us of the intrinsic pleasure of walking. Jordan Etkin, a psychologist at Duke University in the US, found that people who tracked their steps did walk further, but they enjoyed it less, saying it felt like work. When they were assessed at the end of the day, their happiness levels were lower than in those who had walked without their steps being tracked.

Counting steps might be counterproductive for the fittest too – signalling that they should stop once they’ve reached the magic 10,000 instead of getting fitter by, say, doing more.

What can we conclude from all of this? Count if you find it motivates you, but remember there’s nothing special about 10,000 steps. Set the goal that is right for you. It might be more, it might be less – or it might be throwing out your tracker entirely.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Here are the Over 50s League Tables

fetcheveryone.com/league?year=2021&age=50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.