Olympics Paris 2024

46 watchers
5 Aug
12:50pm, 5 Aug 2024
4,352 posts
  •  
Cheg
The diving guy Leon always seems bang on to me. If he is happy, I'm happy.
5 Aug
1:08pm, 5 Aug 2024
10,557 posts
  •  
GordonG
Yes as much as his voice grates on me a little, I agree that he usually gets the calls right in the diving. I'll watch it and think "oh wow that was brilliant!"*, then Leon says "They'll be disappointed with that", and sure enough they'll get a low score

*not that I have any idea what I'm talking about when i'm watching the diving.
5 Aug
1:13pm, 5 Aug 2024
10,558 posts
  •  
GordonG
My random thought about the overall medal table. It favours nations who are strong in the multi format events like swimming and cycling. they sometimes show sport-specific tables, such as just swimming or just cycling. If, as well as giving individual athletes their medals, whichever country comes top of the swimming table gets just one gold in the overall table, and whichever country comes top of the cycling table gets just one gold in the overall table, etc, and they did this for all events (track; field; shooting; equestrian...) I wonder what the overall table would look like then.
5 Aug
1:18pm, 5 Aug 2024
8,559 posts
  •  
IdristheDragon
That beam result was odd - not Biles not scoring well as she fell but Andrade's performance didn't appear to be 4th.
5 Aug
1:19pm, 5 Aug 2024
15,179 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
High bar gymnasts dropping like flies!
5 Aug
1:19pm, 5 Aug 2024
4,353 posts
  •  
Cheg
It would get tricky Gordon, in Hockey you have two medals, men and women. If each sport had 30 events say it might be more effective. Athletics and swimming are huge medal earners. Rowing is decent, wrestling, weightlifting have a lot of medals available.

Yeah the good thing about the likes of cycling and swimming is if you can get a gun man or woman in the right event they can hoover up 3 or 4 medals. Adam Peaty historically for GB, or Marchand for France this time.
5 Aug
1:21pm, 5 Aug 2024
8,560 posts
  •  
IdristheDragon
Watching the men's high bar final now - falling all over the place, as it was in the beam.
5 Aug
1:24pm, 5 Aug 2024
30,930 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Medals divided by population would be good.
5 Aug
1:27pm, 5 Aug 2024
4,354 posts
  •  
Cheg
Keep your eyes peeled Fetch. They always have that at the end of the Olympics.

Here is a blog on small countries medalling at the Commonwealth games, but does also refer to some historic Olympics stuff.

simonssportingblog.wordpress.com
5 Aug
1:29pm, 5 Aug 2024
43,504 posts
  •  
Nellers
I’ve heard that funding in the uk is based on medal return, hence track cycling and rowing and swimming getting well funded (lots of available medals for a small number of funded athletes) whereas hockey needs whole teams funded for one medal so less potential return. Makes sense but I’m not sure if it’s entirely factual.

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).