Olympics Paris 2024

1 lurker | 46 watchers
5 Aug
1:31pm, 5 Aug 2024
4,355 posts
  •  
Cheg
I did a blog after having had a response on a freedom of information request about the funding.

simonssportingblog.wordpress.com
5 Aug
1:33pm, 5 Aug 2024
4,356 posts
  •  
Cheg
Hockey has received £10m a cycle for the last 5 cycles, for 2 teams, so not short of funding.
5 Aug
1:43pm, 5 Aug 2024
10,559 posts
  •  
GordonG
Bicycle Hockey 🤣
5 Aug
1:45pm, 5 Aug 2024
10,560 posts
  •  
GordonG
Cheg wrote:It would get tricky Gordon, in Hockey you have two medals, men and women. If each sport had 30 events say it might be more effective. Athletics and swimming are huge medal earners. Rowing is decent, wrestling, weightlifting have a lot of medals available. Yeah the good thing about the likes of cycling and swimming is if you can get a gun man or woman in the right event they can hoover up 3 or 4 medals. Adam Peaty historically for GB, or Marchand for France this time.

Yeah I appreciate that some sports have only 1 or 2 medals up for grabs but you could still, in theory, create an overall table for it.
5 Aug
1:52pm, 5 Aug 2024
6,086 posts
  •  
paulcook
GordonG wrote:My random thought about the overall medal table. It favours nations who are strong in the multi format events like swimming and cycling. they sometimes show sport-specific tables, such as just swimming or just cycling. If, as well as giving individual athletes their medals, whichever country comes top of the swimming table gets just one gold in the overall table, and whichever country comes top of the cycling table gets just one gold in the overall table, etc, and they did this for all events (track; field; shooting; equestrian...) I wonder what the overall table would look like then.

Except the medal table is just a set of statistics. It doesn't bestow any extra honour on different countries. Apparently, US channels are ordering by total medals first, rather than gold medals, for one example.
5 Aug
2:04pm, 5 Aug 2024
10,561 posts
  •  
GordonG
Fair enough. I just wondered what it might look like, that's all really.
5 Aug
2:10pm, 5 Aug 2024
4,357 posts
  •  
Cheg
So what are we doing Gordon giving a gold,silver and bronze to the country that finishes 1st, 2nd and 3rd in a given sports medal table? Then putting each of those into an overall table?
5 Aug
2:20pm, 5 Aug 2024
2,617 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
@GordonG You need to have a look for cycle-ball!
5 Aug
2:21pm, 5 Aug 2024
10,562 posts
  •  
GordonG
Yeah, that was my thought. Don't know whether things like table tennis would have its own league table or whether that would be under a generic "racquets/ bats" grouping with tennis and badminton.
5 Aug
2:23pm, 5 Aug 2024
10,563 posts
  •  
GordonG
MudMeanderer wrote:@GordonG You need to have a look for cycle-ball!

Lol doesn't surprise me that there is such a thing!

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).