Olympics Paris 2024

1 lurker | 46 watchers
5 Aug
2:27pm, 5 Aug 2024
22,841 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Cheg wrote:Hockey has received £10m a cycle for the last 5 cycles, for 2 teams, so not short of funding.

As I understand it (as a hockey player), that is funding for elite development only - and may include the pro league which most nations play in at the elite level?
5 Aug
2:28pm, 5 Aug 2024
4,358 posts
  •  
Cheg
Looking at 2020 there were 33 sports and 50 disciplines. I can't quite get back to their 50 disciples.

They have the overall sport of aquatics, and then sub divided into 5 disciplines of artistic swimming, diving, marathon swimming, swimming and water polo.

Other ones are Basketball as a sport, then divided into basketball and 3x3 basketball as separate disciplines.

In the sports with fewer medals available you get quiet a lot of ties for position in the table.
5 Aug
2:33pm, 5 Aug 2024
4,359 posts
  •  
Cheg
rf_fozzy wrote:Cheg wrote:Hockey has received £10m a cycle for the last 5 cycles, for 2 teams, so not short of funding. As I understand it (as a hockey player), that is funding for elite development only - and may include the pro league which most nations play in at the elite level?

Yeah I believe it is elite only. In terms of the pro league I would be surprised if that is included.

The breakdown is in the blog and that is overall and not sport specific. But the biggest six areas are Coaching (15%), International Competition (12.5%), Senior Leadership Team (12%), Overheads (8.5%) and Sports Science (8%) and Sports Medicine (8%). Comes to nearly 2/3rds of the budget.
5 Aug
3:06pm, 5 Aug 2024
56,612 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Kayak cross is insane!
5 Aug
3:08pm, 5 Aug 2024
10,564 posts
  •  
GordonG
Kayak Cross: kayaking meets It's a Knockout. Here come the Belgians!!
5 Aug
3:17pm, 5 Aug 2024
15,182 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I'm watching the Men's boulder climbing from earlier on Discovery. The female commentator is very informative.
5 Aug
3:28pm, 5 Aug 2024
10,565 posts
  •  
GordonG
climbing is one of those sports I was dubious about being included in the olympics (despite a knowledge base of zero on my part) but it's great to watch.
5 Aug
4:16pm, 5 Aug 2024
15,183 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I'm not a fan of the speed climbing but watching people work out the bouldering is surprisingly enthralling :-)
5 Aug
5:09pm, 5 Aug 2024
50,619 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Kayak Cross is crazy sport! Brill to watch! Bronze n a Silver. :-) G
5 Aug
5:25pm, 5 Aug 2024
18,494 posts
  •  
UltraDunc
Looking forward to watching local Keeley Hodgkinson who went to the same school as my daughter 😉

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).