Olympics Paris 2024

1 lurker | 46 watchers
5 Aug
8:51am, 5 Aug 2024
8,549 posts
  •  
IdristheDragon
One of the triathletes was sick straight after the men's race last week but that was so soon after the event it was likely to be post race sickness.

The Belgium team did pull out of the relay as one of their team is ill - reading between the lines of their statement it did look as if it could have been due to the water in the Seine but didn't state specifically.

Other than that I hadn't heard of any illness, which tbh does seem quite incredible.
5 Aug
8:57am, 5 Aug 2024
12,082 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
The BBC is now saying the GB triathletes got bronze.
5 Aug
8:58am, 5 Aug 2024
10,556 posts
  •  
GordonG
separate to the issues of the water quality, of all the long distance events, I do think that triathletes - as a group - do tend to look more knackered than any other athletes at the end of a race. incredible fitness to be able to do what they do.
5 Aug
9:00am, 5 Aug 2024
8,550 posts
  •  
IdristheDragon
USA challenged it and they did get silver with GB getting bronze. I feel that it could have been checked a bit better before saying GB got silver
5 Aug
9:09am, 5 Aug 2024
10,591 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I did suspect that from what I saw so I don't blame the Americans for challenging. Yet another mistake from the officials at these Games. Well done to the team for getting a podium place and for not showing any disappointment.

Doesn't take away from the fact that we blew a 12+ second lead and that's only from the footage I actually saw.
jda
5 Aug
9:59am, 5 Aug 2024
17,580 posts
  •  
jda
Relay was great, I just finished it on playback. Interesting to see the difference of a shorter run - Dickinson was fab and Potter slightly less so. 1800m quite a different beast to 10k.
5 Aug
10:23am, 5 Aug 2024
8,554 posts
  •  
IdristheDragon
I think on the bike leg Taylor Knibb was able to make up time as she is an excellent cyclist and she and the German were able to ride together which makes it easier to catch up. Then 1.8km is very different from 10km I suppose.

Sam Dickinson did have the advantage of having not run the full 10km in the individual event too.

France getting back to 4th was really good - if they hadn't had the issue in their first leg I am sure they would have got a medal.
5 Aug
11:26am, 5 Aug 2024
8,555 posts
  •  
IdristheDragon
Has gone wrong for the women's pole vaulters - neither of them have qualified for the final and Molly Caudery seems to not have cleared any height.
5 Aug
11:32am, 5 Aug 2024
42,893 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Nerves??
5 Aug
11:49am, 5 Aug 2024
43,503 posts
  •  
Nellers
Feels like that, Mrs J. No suggestion of injury (so far). It just didn't "click" from what I saw. Haven't seen any interviews afterwards so maybe Molly has a different view herself but it was a height she had cleared by a decent margin multiple times this year and last.

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).