Olympics Paris 2024

1 lurker | 46 watchers
9 Aug
4:57pm, 9 Aug 2024
6,151 posts
  •  
paulcook
China have charged past the US in the medal table in the last 24 hours. More US athletic dominance to claw back again?
9 Aug
5:04pm, 9 Aug 2024
24,931 posts
  •  
Meglet
It seems crazy to remove a major element, especially when pentathlon is a progression from equestrian sports for many, as far as I’m aware (I’ve heard of children starting with pony club then adding swimming, running etc, there are recognised events of 2-4 of the constituent sports). But I do get the reasoning, especially after last year’s debacle when the horses were of such varying quality. I suppose it also make it a more accessible sport.
9 Aug
5:04pm, 9 Aug 2024
24,932 posts
  •  
Meglet
I read the rules and some of the written commentary for breaking. It didn’t sound much like a sport. But we’ve accepted skateboarding now so 🤷🏻‍♀️
9 Aug
5:08pm, 9 Aug 2024
4,379 posts
  •  
Cheg
Yeah the event was on the chopping block. The 30 minutes get to know your not always terrific horse meant there were some bad falls, and then the German athlete slapped his horse so the event was under the microscope.

Didn’t I see the Brit saying he was happy with the change?
9 Aug
7:40pm, 9 Aug 2024
6,152 posts
  •  
paulcook
Think we're a bronze ahead of France now but there's plenty of "guaranteed" gold/silvers about that it's not clear. KJT just cancelled out the football; but there may be more.
9 Aug
7:48pm, 9 Aug 2024
10,612 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Lovely to see all the heptathletes doing a lap of honour.
9 Aug
7:59pm, 9 Aug 2024
15,223 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
It was a gutsy run by KJT to set a PB in the 800m but Thiam just had enough to keep the gap down. Hope she's happy with the silver, it's a great result :-)
9 Aug
8:03pm, 9 Aug 2024
34,931 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Looking fwd to the 10000m, and good luck to Megan Keith, local runner to us, club mate of 57DoP of this parish.
9 Aug
8:04pm, 9 Aug 2024
10,613 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
She did well in the Europeans. Also hoping that Eilish is still in contention in the closing stages.
9 Aug
8:13pm, 9 Aug 2024
8,658 posts
  •  
IdristheDragon
Eilish has been coming back from injuries and operations for a while - tbh I can’t see her featuring at the end

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).