Olympics Paris 2024

46 watchers
9 Aug
8:18pm, 9 Aug 2024
2,788 posts
  •  
Jen HB
watching the 10,000m - had to smile as the commentators basically said that they are jogging when they went through the 5000m in around 16min....
9 Aug
8:36pm, 9 Aug 2024
8,661 posts
  •  
IdristheDragon
I know - just over 3 min/km and I’m thinking if I ever managed to do even one km at that pace I’d be amazed 😃
9 Aug
8:36pm, 9 Aug 2024
6,155 posts
  •  
paulcook
Just the 34 1/2 hours rest I make it for Sifan Hassan until the marathon.
9 Aug
8:50pm, 9 Aug 2024
6,156 posts
  •  
paulcook
Netherlands are having an amazing games. *Again, perhaps.

But for a tiny nation, they're right up there, and their conversion of medals to golds also impressive.
9 Aug
8:53pm, 9 Aug 2024
94,648 posts
  •  
pedroscalls
Certainly their hockey teams are helping there, winning both.
9 Aug
9:04pm, 9 Aug 2024
37,254 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Nice little warm up for Hassan before the marathon she’s nuts
9 Aug
9:09pm, 9 Aug 2024
36 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
I think it was a German trainer who slapped the horse rather than a competitor. I also remember Beijing, there was a very naughty horse called Ping Ping who was used for a few different athletes and ruined all their competitions.
It's a tricky one, for sure.

Great job by KJT - she did absolutely everything she could, but she's up against the heptathlon GOAT.

Bit of a surprise in the hurdles (well maybe not for people in the know, but I'm not in the know). Did I hear right that Dos Santos is only 24? Guy looks 20 years older than that, even with his fetching lilac buzzcut.
9 Aug
9:14pm, 9 Aug 2024
8,663 posts
  •  
IdristheDragon
I think Dos Santos has always looked much older than he is
9 Aug
9:23pm, 9 Aug 2024
356 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
Belgium doing great in the women's heptathlon, gold and bronze.

Nafi Thiam 3 consecutive Olympic golds, WTF !

I read somewhere she trained differently (being older) with less high intensity weeks.
9 Aug
9:39pm, 9 Aug 2024
2,696 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Personal/unpopular view probably but Hassan looks like someone aiming to “medal” in 3 events rather than trying to win any. Which is obviously amazing but somehow leaves me feeling “meh”.

Whilst I realise that the 1952 games is in black and white and therefore doesn’t count, I’m disappointed that Emile Zatopek hasn’t been mentioned in any of the coverage that I’ve seen.

(Sydney McL-L is the performance of the games for me.)

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).