Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

169 watchers
Jan 2020
10:47am, 4 Jan 2020
44,619 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Me neither, fraggle. Possibly because for most people handling colour well is a skill that has to be learned and practised, whereas I expect to be able to do it by eyeballing.
Jan 2020
12:10pm, 4 Jan 2020
101 posts
  •  
The Pin Lady
That is a stunning blanket!
Jan 2020
1:32pm, 4 Jan 2020
4,939 posts
  •  
icemaiden
The little yarn shop near me is closing on 18 Jan, some of you know where I mean. Over the five years or so it has been open I have bought a few balls there., mostly for socks and hats. But she has not been able to stock much 100% wool or British yarns, favouring Spanish brands as that's where she is from, and mixed materials. A small shop is never going to stock a wide range of relatively expensive products, so it's a shame she's going.
Jan 2020
1:37pm, 4 Jan 2020
3,950 posts
  •  
Cyclops
My 'boy blanket' for son to take to uni was a neat ripple (Attic 24) done in blues/greens/greys inspired by the open water swimming venue I use.
Jan 2020
4:42pm, 4 Jan 2020
868 posts
  •  
poppyH
I made a (baby) boy blanket in granny stripe with random stripes of 3-4 blues, purple, cream and an occasional pop of orange and red. I made it large and it's still being used 10 years later.
Jan 2020
4:47pm, 4 Jan 2020
11,653 posts
  •  
Garfield
That's gorgeous SS!
Jan 2020
4:47pm, 4 Jan 2020
3,220 posts
  •  
Kittenheels Kath
Gus and Silvershadow, that's is some awesome work!

My latest creation was for a colleague who left us just before Christmas, she had a penguin obsession, so I found this on Ravelry, but had no idea how big it would turn out to be, and nearly got RSI in the making process! Shame the bill looks more like a platypus than a penguin too, but she liked it, so it's a happy ending. It's been a while since I've uploaded a picture, does this work?
Gus
Jan 2020
5:28pm, 4 Jan 2020
1,633 posts
  •  
Gus
Nope KK nothing there. I must confess the yarn for the blanket was a colour pack of Hayfield wool from Deramores, so they were already chosen to complement each other. I'm not that good at getting stuff to match, another one of the many things I miss about my dear departed OH!
Jan 2020
6:21pm, 4 Jan 2020
1,475 posts
  •  
panad
Stunning blanket SS! The only way i’d stand any hope of picking colours that well would be using a kit :( i always have to refer any colour choices ( for anything) i make to my sister/daughter (the artists in the family) for comment before going any further...
Jan 2020
6:42pm, 4 Jan 2020
6,712 posts
  •  
Hark the Heleg-Advent Angels Sing
IM, I'd like to know which yarn shop it is please.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557