Garmin

214 watchers
SPR
Oct 2022
8:39pm, 17 Oct 2022
38,556 posts
  •  
SPR
Yes, it's the race thing that is new as per my earlier quote. Training suggestions was also on the 245 without the race calendar element.
SPR
Oct 2022
1:11pm, 18 Oct 2022
38,565 posts
  •  
SPR
I thought I'd written yesterday that it would be handy to be able to mark races as A race vs B race on the Garmin calendar. Well you can! Only available on web (I think) but my races (I've added a second one) went in as Secondary and you can edit priority to make events Primary if you wish. The training suggestions are supposed to take this into account but I can't verify this yet.
Oct 2022
2:27pm, 18 Oct 2022
2,063 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
I did that secondary event thing yesterday by adding the Dec virtual Jingle Mile after my Nov half. I'm pretty sure it has added in some «Sprints» later this week because of that, since I haven't seen them before (10 sec intervals).
SPR
Oct 2022
4:00pm, 18 Oct 2022
38,569 posts
  •  
SPR
Interesting you have 10 sec sprints, that's a staple of mine.
Oct 2022
11:47pm, 18 Oct 2022
189 posts
  •  
Alun
I had a cross country race on Saturday afternoon and have many more scheduled until the end of March, the vets' county championships in early December are my priority and the rest are secondary to it.
My 255 suggested 15 minutes steady (125bpm), 6 x 15 seconds (155bpm) with 2 minutes recovery and 5 minutes warm down (115bpm) for Friday's run, I wasn't sure about it but went with the suggestion and felt great when I raced on the Saturday.
The suggested runs from the 255 seem to be more relevant than those from the 245 which doesn't match to the race calendar, I'll be interested to see how they develop as the season progresses.
I just need the watch to understand that I run every day, Monday, Wednesday and Friday are easier days, Tuesday and Thursday are speed or hills, Saturday is either a fast parkrun or a race and Sunday is a long run or a race.
As my club mate says, a rest day is a 4 mile run!
Oct 2022
2:33am, 19 Oct 2022
3,940 posts
  •  
jelly
I think my watch does understand that I run every day at the moment. My recovery time has come down again! But I have been running less!
SPR
Oct 2022
7:39am, 19 Oct 2022
38,575 posts
  •  
SPR
I see that my workout for Friday is supposed to be 15 mins then 5 x 15 secs. As said earlier, I sprint before races already. I've been doing it 2 days before races for years but moved to the day before in 2021.

Today's has changed from a straight 17 mins threshold to 3 x 6 mins. I'm going to go with a straight threshold I think.

For training suggestions you can change your long run day. Not much else seems programmable. I can't comment on the mileage and days advice really yet as I'm not in full training yet.
Oct 2022
3:07pm, 20 Oct 2022
2,075 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
As mentioned, my sprints came up on the Garmin suggested workout today: 3 x 3 for 15 secs, interspersed with jogs totalling 55 mins. I could swear it was to be 10 sec bursts a few days ago, but I could be wrong. Tomorrow it is still saying 8 x 1:00 intervals. I will see if it changes its mind overnight. I don't think I have ever done back-to-back intervals before, but OTOH I didn't accumulate too much recovery time today, if I believe the Garmin. On the whole, I still think I like this feature.
SPR
Oct 2022
3:16pm, 20 Oct 2022
38,589 posts
  •  
SPR
Steve - I can confirm things change as I the threshold workout for yesterday changed a few times for me.

Sprints for pure speed aren't especially taxing with the proper recovery once conditioned and they are good prep for future work (wouldn't work the day before a race if they didn't). That said there can be soreness from maximal efforts if you've never done them before.

I thought your sprints were the day before a race though?
Oct 2022
3:27pm, 20 Oct 2022
2,077 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
No, no race yet. They just came up. IIRC firstbeat says they come up rarely. I have a half in 3 weeks and a mile in Dec programmed in.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
For all questions and comments about Garmin devices, including importing to Fetch.