Fetch Camper Vans

93 watchers
Jun 2023
10:25am, 2 Jun 2023
2,559 posts
  •  
Big_G
Wasn’t expecting any problems but van passed its MOT with no issues yesterday. I also had it serviced. It needed a new leisure battery, which I knew about as it was on its last legs, so I asked them to do that. It also had a heater that was piped into the gas, which we’ve literally never used and as it takes up valuable space under the rear seats I asked them to remove it. We don’t use the van in a way that we require it as we virtually always use a campsite with electric, and we’ve got a small electric heater should we need it that is more than adequate. They told to me to put it on eBay as they’re £500 new, they checked it’s all working, and they said I should get £200 for it. They removed all the wiring and everything else intact, which was nice of them, so it’s good to go, so I’ll list that at some point.

OH is a vet and is talking about setting up a side hustle with a colleague to do the paperwork for pets travelling from UK to Europe. She’s done it for our dog a few times, and got a colleague to sign it as she can’t sign it herself for her own dog, but it’s a service many vets don’t offer as it’s time consuming if they don’t know what they’re doing. Some local vets actively charge very high fees to put people off from requesting it! OH has asked her vet practice to refer owners to her if they want it doing. Yesterday she had an owner with 6 poodle puppies who needed vaccinating, who are going to Netherlands to be shown in a show and was asking about the paperwork. OH just needs a chip scanner, and she’s basically good to go. There are vets near the UK ports who only do this paperwork and nothing else, as they make a good living from it, as they’re efficient at it.
Jun 2023
4:17pm, 2 Jun 2023
17 posts
  •  
DrMags
Putting a bike rack on a Peugeot Boxer part 2. Oow, the excitement 😁

Dry run to see how to locate the frame & bottom rail before gunk involved:

Slide 2 square nuts & bolts into slot in top rail:

Hang frame off protruding bolt heads:

Sikaflex inside face of the bottom rail:

Hang frame on bolts keeping bottom rail a few degrees out from touching the back door, then carefully shove frame to the right so the flange overhangs the right/outer side of the door, then simultaneously press the rail to the door and shove the frame to the left to engage the flange on the door. And breath 😮‍💨 Now tighten up the Allen bolt on the flange on the opposite end of the rail and hope you put enough Sikaflex on the back of the rail.

Jun 2023
12:01pm, 4 Jun 2023
2,562 posts
  •  
Big_G
Looking good DrMags.

We’ve spent a couple of hours giving the van a thorough clean inside and out. We keep on top of it anyway, but a full clean was needed and it’s looking pretty good again, even if I do say so myself.
Jun 2023
12:08pm, 4 Jun 2023
39,589 posts
  •  
halfpint
Not a bad view from the van last night.

Mine will need a good clean after a cider incident :)
Jun 2023
12:42pm, 4 Jun 2023
16,862 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Our wobblebox had its service Friday - new brakes and new tyres needed 💰
Jun 2023
2:04pm, 4 Jun 2023
21 posts
  •  
DrMags
Nice view indeed!

Not yet used the van in anger much, so not had the joy of thoroughly cleaning a dirty inside. I imagine it’s very satisfying 😇

Still a bit of a noob to camper-vanning, and it just cost me dear: I thought the starter battery was shagged after going completely flat during a long cold winter (I live in Norway) so as the van was in for a tyre change, I asked the garage to do a quick check in prep for probably getting a new one. Apparently it’s fine, it just takes more than a few 10’s of km to fully re-charge after a jump start. I could probably have Googled that piece of advice, which cost about £100 🤦‍♀️ On the bright side I don’t need a new battery though!
Jun 2023
4:42pm, 4 Jun 2023
29,090 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I spent a couple of hours emptying and cleaning mine today - ready for a hab check, but an inside deep- clean was needed, sand and crumbs everywhere :)
Jun 2023
4:48pm, 4 Jun 2023
15,109 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Glad you don't need a new battery DrMags!

I'm loving all the van pics and views, we've been using our van loads to sleep in before and after climbing munros. This was the view from our van in a car park on Saturday morning:

It was a short drive up from the Sugarbowl car park in the Cairngorms and they supplied water and waste disposal facilities but no toilets for £12. I appreciated the relaxed start to the day, our friends had to leave Stonehaven at 05:45 to meet us there as the walk up Braeriach is a long one.
Jun 2023
5:28pm, 4 Jun 2023
39,592 posts
  •  
halfpint
Ooh I was thinking of Braeriach for next weekend MrsS. Which route did you do? Not so far for us so can do it without a night in the van.
Jun 2023
5:30pm, 4 Jun 2023
3,513 posts
  •  
Ally-C
You aiming to compleat mrs shanksi?

About This Thread

Maintained by AntClark
Share the VW (or other) Camper Van love, which Fetchies have Campers? Can't beat a Camper for Race ...