Fetch Camper Vans

1 lurker | 93 watchers
May 2023
2:07pm, 31 May 2023
2,554 posts
  •  
Big_G
Just been finalising a trip over to Europe, hoping for about 3 weeks of travelling. Girlfriend is between jobs at the moment and wanted to make the most of the flexibility before finding herself back in full time work again, and I was happy to oblige (she’s a vet and is still working as a locum, but has flexibility for the time being).

A few years ago, we went over to Dolomites for a friend’s wedding, who was brought up there. It was truly stunning, and we’ve both wanted to go back. That time we flew in and out of Venice, and took in that city, plus 3 days in Verona, before about a week in Dolomites. Verona and Venice both very nice, but Dolomites were the hands down clear favourite. When a gap in OH’s schedule came up, we decided a return to the area was high on the agenda, stopping off on the way.

This time we’re going with the van, and the dog, so it’s going to be a different experience and just as good.

We’re going Plymouth-Roscoff, and making our way through France, with possibly a highlight of that leg being 3 nights on the outskirts of Annecy. I’ve been before, based in the centre and near the fabulous lake that time, but this time we’re a bit further out in the mountains. Where we’ve booked looks beautiful.

Then it’s on to Milan for the parkrun there, before going up to Como for 3 nights there, and we’ve a place on the lake. Then onto Dolomites for the main part of the trip. We’re staying not far into the mountains, in Seiser Alm. They’ve got a summer time map with all the running/cycling routes, and the ski lifts are still open to get around if you want (dogs are allowed on with a muzzle, as I checked).

Return leg takes in a German parkrun, whilst travelling through Switzerland, Austria and possibly Lichtenstein. I had to contact insurance as they want to know for insurance/breakdown purposes, and I liked listing off those countries, plus Germany, France and Italy.

I think we’re all sorted, with the exception of sorting out a vet for Tigg’s paperwork before we return home. We have booked a few of the key sites (using pitchup mainly, with a bit of Googling for reviews), but have some flexibility should we need it, and have tried to intersperse any long days of driving with stopping for 2 or 3 nights in a nice place, to explore a bit. We went around Scotland one time and although it was fantastic we decided that 2 or 3 nights is better or more relaxing for us, rather than just stopping for one night, so we’ve kept that in mind where possible (it’s not been possible all the time).

Really looking forward to it. I’m especially looking forward to the running, walking and a small amount of swimming (probably no more than a splash about really). Last time I was in Dolomites I was having a bit of a mojo issue with my running, but that place certainly perked me up. It’s stunning. Here’s a pic of one of my runs from last time. Hilly and trail, but I’m not bothered about pace or possibly having to walk. Pic doesn’t do it justice really, but everywhere I went was jaw droppingly beautiful.

May 2023
2:13pm, 31 May 2023
11,298 posts
  •  
cathrobinson
That sounds like an amazing trip!
May 2023
3:01pm, 31 May 2023
3,495 posts
  •  
Ally-C
That sounds the dogs’ danglers 👍🏻
May 2023
3:33pm, 31 May 2023
25,360 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
Wow! That sounds exciting.
May 2023
5:32pm, 31 May 2023
3,496 posts
  •  
Ally-C
I’m off to the Emerald Isle in a few weeks.

Stranraer first, then, Adare, Cronans yard, Killarney, Tralee (2 nights), Ballinderry, Larne.

Squeezing in a half marathon and a walk up Carrauntoohil.
May 2023
5:33pm, 31 May 2023
16,829 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Sounds fabulous
May 2023
5:50pm, 31 May 2023
25,362 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I have Ireland on my list of places to visit. Sounds a great trip, Ally.
May 2023
5:56pm, 31 May 2023
16,831 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Love hearing of everyone's adventures- our France trip is just over 2 weeks away
Jun 2023
3:33am, 1 Jun 2023
18,747 posts
  •  
SarahWoo
That trip sounds fabulous, BG :)
Jun 2023
9:37am, 1 Jun 2023
14 posts
  •  
DrMags
Oow, looking forward to seeing some photos and hearing about your park-up/camping experiences Big_G

About This Thread

Maintained by AntClark
Share the VW (or other) Camper Van love, which Fetchies have Campers? Can't beat a Camper for Race ...