EU Referendum - In or Out? Vote here

3 lurkers | 70 watchers
Feb 2016
12:47pm, 23 Feb 2016
74 posts
  •  
fartlek
All those who want to actively discriminate against non EU workers put your hands up.
So that's DeeGee....anybody else?
Feb 2016
12:50pm, 23 Feb 2016
6,957 posts
  •  
Badger
Cheap shot. You want to discriminate actively against non-UK workers, after all.
Feb 2016
12:55pm, 23 Feb 2016
75 posts
  •  
fartlek
Hi Badger, no...the world doesn't just consist of the European Union and workers within it. We should not limit ourselves-it makes no sense.
Feb 2016
1:10pm, 23 Feb 2016
6,958 posts
  •  
Badger
Are you arguing that it should be easier for non-EU workers to come here, or harder for EU workers, or both?
Feb 2016
1:11pm, 23 Feb 2016
17,013 posts
  •  
DeeGee
But we don't! As I'm sat here in my office looking at data, I can see a list of names. All are teachers, and all employed in my school.

18 of them are from Canada. One from India, one from South Africa.

One from Spain. And that's it for the EU.

So do tell me again how we're not able to give jobs to the best qualified foreigners.
Feb 2016
1:13pm, 23 Feb 2016
6,959 posts
  •  
Badger
I'm actually the only person in my office who was born in the EU, though there are two British citizens who were born in the USA and India respectively, as well as two other non-EU citizens.
Feb 2016
1:28pm, 23 Feb 2016
9,203 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sieGXAP2dCg
Feb 2016
1:29pm, 23 Feb 2016
120 posts
  •  
Hallucyn8
I'm leaning towards In but like a few people have mentioned it's not easy to get an unbiased view of what it would really mean either way. The Guardian article linked further back is an interesting viewpoint on staying in but it doesn't come across any less biased to me than what I've seen/heard with regards to leaving.
Feb 2016
1:31pm, 23 Feb 2016
3,740 posts
  •  
Doctor K
I watched Corbyn's speech yesterday and sensed that his heart wasn't in it. He rushed it, simply reading from a script and there was no sense of theatre or drama.
Feb 2016
1:43pm, 23 Feb 2016
5,480 posts
  •  
CStar
DeeGee, I'm afraid I think the whole immigration/ free movement of workers thing is actually a huge red herring whipped up by the Little Englander Press. The sensible side of the out campaign is advocating Out for a lot more reasons than immigration. Anyone can see that post exit, there would need to be some form of fairly liberal, but managed free movement of workers between UK and EU negotiated. The bald statement that once the bridge is up, it's up, is absolutely not the case. It can be as far down as the UK Govt (and the EU as the other party to the negotiations) chooses it to be, that's the whole point. Trying to make the whole thing binary is far too simplistic.

About This Thread

Maintained by CStar
Time to cast your vote for Fetchland to be part of the EU or to pull up the drawbridge and simply do...