EU Referendum - In or Out? Vote here

2 lurkers | 70 watchers
Feb 2016
11:55am, 23 Feb 2016
33,492 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Health tourism. Is that, like, when nurses and doctors from other EU countries come and work here? I would contend that the NHS would be in an even worse pickle without them.
Feb 2016
12:01pm, 23 Feb 2016
17,010 posts
  •  
DeeGee
No, no, vrap. You have it all wrong.

We want to stop nurses and doctors coming in from the EU. We need to get them from Canada instead.

And we want to stop anyone else coming here from the EU to have stuff done, but we demand the rights to make a faff-free money transfer to our plastic surgeon in Warsaw.

And nobody's allowed to settle here unless they are a Canadian doctor, teacher or governor of the Bank of England, but we can freely go and settle in Spain or Cyprus, no questions asked.
Feb 2016
12:03pm, 23 Feb 2016
71 posts
  •  
fartlek
I contend that we wouldn't....
Feb 2016
12:04pm, 23 Feb 2016
72 posts
  •  
fartlek
DeeGee....you didn't mention settling in Greece did you?
Feb 2016
12:04pm, 23 Feb 2016
12,577 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
"Great" Britain is a geographical term, the name of the island most of us are on. It distinguishes us from Brittany. Thus our full name is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".
Feb 2016
12:09pm, 23 Feb 2016
17,011 posts
  •  
DeeGee
No, no. Cyprus. It's OK, because it's in the Commonwealth, which is apparently what some of us like to have as a free trade area instead of the European Union, because Romania is so much less viable as a market for our goods than Burundi.
Feb 2016
12:23pm, 23 Feb 2016
73 posts
  •  
fartlek
DeeGee

At the moment we actively discriminate against Commonwealth, US, Australian citizens etc who cannot just rock up in GB and work and yet if you are from the EU you can. Where's the logic? Are we saying citizens from the EU are more worthy than those from outside.

A points system would be fairer for all.
Feb 2016
12:39pm, 23 Feb 2016
22,266 posts
  •  
macca 53
this is quite interesting - OK he's a Labour MEP so he does have a particular slant but still a lot of interesting stuff...

www.richardcorbett.org.uk
Feb 2016
12:39pm, 23 Feb 2016
17,012 posts
  •  
DeeGee
visabureau.com

They warn it can take 9 months to get a working visa for Australia. So that's how we'll deal with shortages in the UK right now? Rather than getting a reliable, qualified and police-checked person right now, we'll only fill vacancies in 9 months' time? Or do you propose we rush them through without being able to do all the paperwork properly.

And that's to assume that as soon as they get all the paperwork sorted and paid for, they are happy settling long-term. Because it's not a simple matter to get a flight back to Vancouver or Auckland (as I'm assuming that we'll put a preference on incoming workers who have a perfect command of the English language, natch), and homesickness is a real thing.

Whereas in my experience, people are quite happy being a two-hour flight to Warsaw away from their immediate family.
Feb 2016
12:44pm, 23 Feb 2016
8,504 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Macca - on Corbett's site is this interesting article I assume you've read, which points out that staying/leaving the EU isn't the same as stopping migration, I can sort of see why people think it is but suggest they might be very disappointed if they suddenly think Brexit = shoring up of our borders.

newstatesman.com

About This Thread

Maintained by CStar
Time to cast your vote for Fetchland to be part of the EU or to pull up the drawbridge and simply do...