EU Referendum - In or Out? Vote here

4 lurkers | 70 watchers
Feb 2016
10:44am, 23 Feb 2016
3,971 posts
  •  
Snake Doctor
Confirmed outer. All the in people say that it is better the devil you know. No convincing arguments to stay in all doom and gloom
Feb 2016
10:48am, 23 Feb 2016
17,005 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Why would 5 million EU citizens suddenly turn up here?

Is it because of our "ask no questions, do no work" welfare policy? Or would it be to work? And the same question I ask and never gets answered (without alleging that all employers who take on Eastern European workers are breaking the law) applies - if there's 5 million jobs available, and 2 million unemployed in the UK, how come the jobs are going to people with no cultural links to the UK and a far more limited command of the language with qualifications which are comparatively meaningless to a UK employer?
Feb 2016
10:50am, 23 Feb 2016
17,006 posts
  •  
DeeGee
By "All doom and gloom", do you mean such crazy statements as "That'll be the end of your Working Time Directive", "That'll be the end of your cheap roaming", "That'll be the end of your free movement of people".

Because that's a lot less doom and gloom and a lot more realistic than "That'll mean 5 million migrants bashing down your doors to steal our benefits and jobs"
Feb 2016
10:57am, 23 Feb 2016
68 posts
  •  
fartlek
DeeGee
I work in the health service - over the last 5 years I have seen a massive amount of health tourism from the EU which is putting NHS services in London under enormous pressure. I have also seen my local primary school become oversubscribed and teachers spending an inordinate amount of time teaching English to kids as a second language.

The fact of the matter is many of the EU migrants that are coming to work in London are at best low paid (below tax threshold) or worse working cash in hand and not contributing to the economy.

The sad fact of the matter is we have no viable way of extracting money from the EU to help us cope with the strain on our essential services.
Feb 2016
10:58am, 23 Feb 2016
12,575 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I am heading towards IN.

Much though I fear TTIP, dislike the CAP, the democratic deficit, endless fraud and other things, I find that the EU likes people more than money, while the OUT campaign seems to be the other way round.

I wonder what I would think if the UK had been run by Mr Corbyn for the past 10 years....
Feb 2016
11:32am, 23 Feb 2016
17,007 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Would you say that the pressure on the NHS is from Health Tourists, or years of underinvestment in the service? Because I happen to think that by investing properly, we'll have enough staff and enough resources to properly man our NHS.

I don't work in Health, I work in Education, so I do understand what you're suggesting. I just think the solution is proper investment rather than cutting off a plentiful source of qualified staff. Sadly this government is intent on running down the NHS in the hope of privatising it, and by blaming "migrants" and "health tourists" for this they can deflect the blame.

Would you want to be seen as the Prime Minister responsible for killing the NHS?
Feb 2016
11:37am, 23 Feb 2016
69 posts
  •  
fartlek
The effect that free movement is having on the NHS and schools in London is enough for me to vote out. It’s a shame that an awful lot of folk have such a low opinion on our great country that they have come to the conclusion that we need the fat cats of Brussels to prosper.
Having said all of that, when things get so bad here me and the good wife will take our pensions and live the good life in some nice corner of Spain.....so perhaps I’ll vote in after all!
Feb 2016
11:43am, 23 Feb 2016
17,009 posts
  •  
DeeGee
You're the second person here who has said that they want Britain out, but would happily profit from free movement of people for their own aims. Once the drawbridge is up, it's up. Sorry and all that.

And I might have "a low opinion" of Britain (actually, I don't, but I do have a low opinion of the current government, elected by a quarter of eligible adults here), but I've never publicly claimed a desire to leave ;-)
Feb 2016
11:50am, 23 Feb 2016
70 posts
  •  
fartlek
I freely admit that one of the benefits of EU membership will be the ability to leave the sinking ship.....I suspect a lot will follow in time.
Feb 2016
11:53am, 23 Feb 2016
20,066 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
'Great' Britain is such an archaic misnomer that people seem to buy into.
Isolating ourselves in the globalised (but with a few big players) world could turn us into the insignificant little rock that we actually are!

Billy No Mates Britain - or as the rest of the world could refer to us "Where?"

About This Thread

Maintained by CStar
Time to cast your vote for Fetchland to be part of the EU or to pull up the drawbridge and simply do...