EU Referendum - In or Out? Vote here

2 lurkers | 70 watchers
Feb 2016
3:42pm, 24 Feb 2016
22,313 posts
  •  
macca 53
independent.co.uk

but yes these are non-EU migrants so you could be safe Hann.......
Feb 2016
3:47pm, 24 Feb 2016
8,509 posts
  •  
Chrisull
They'd were reconsidering because that would mean they'd deport teachers, but that won't stop the Tories, it's another bit of gerrymandering to make sure they win the next election against Dan Jarv...oops delete Jeremy Corbyn.
Feb 2016
3:48pm, 24 Feb 2016
68,745 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Well, as far as the legal advisor from the Dutch embassy knows... If the UK leaves the EU, all EU citizens currently with the right to abode will loose this right and revert to the same rights as non-eu citizens. It is a worry!

Thing is, people say oh it won't happen to the likes of you but, if we get a no vote, the likes of me become unwanted aliens too!!!
Feb 2016
3:56pm, 24 Feb 2016
68,746 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I think a lot of no voters don't realise this! Over the last 20 years I have had a few discussions where someone spouted racist remarks. I pointed out I was a foreigner too, and an immigrant, but somehow that was different...

The government would need to construct some kind of law that allows EU citizens to retain their right to abode.

Alas, my legal advisor wasn't aware of any such forward thinking... Also unaware of how deportation would take place and if one would be allowed to sell property etc first... Needless to say I have stalled putting up a new building for the expansion of my business until I know my status... Hell, they are deporting grannies and underaged children, so I have no confidence.

French friend married to a Brit has recently taken British citizenship, as she fears it would break up her family.

I don't think consequences have been thought through at all! Or do politicians just assume it won't be a no vote?
Feb 2016
3:59pm, 24 Feb 2016
8,510 posts
  •  
Chrisull
If the advisor is correct, this is horrifying and if it wasn't amended would be sure to lead to retaliatory action taken against British ex-pats. It's another example of Leave not having a clue where there actions will lead. They don't know, we don't know.

At least last night the polls move quite heavily towards staying in, the one poll that had Leave winning by miles lost 9% of its 10% lead. The bookies odds have remain in as fairly strong favourites.
Feb 2016
4:21pm, 24 Feb 2016
11,383 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Surely if by some horrible chance the majority vote to be out surely there would be a longish slow process to cut ties to EU and there would be negotiations regarding EU citizens in UK and UK citizens living in EU. Apparently 2.2 million UK citizens live in other EU countries. There are 2.3 million EU citizens in UK. They will not be able to move them overnight.

My sons live in partner is Polish so have a personal interest in this.
Feb 2016
4:31pm, 24 Feb 2016
22,315 posts
  •  
macca 53
and it's taken 40 years to make the laws as compliacted as they are so untangling them isn't going to be a 2 minute job........
Feb 2016
4:58pm, 24 Feb 2016
68,747 posts
  •  
Hanneke
No, not easy. This is quite good reading:
eulawanalysis.blogspot.co.uk
Feb 2016
5:00pm, 24 Feb 2016
68,748 posts
  •  
Hanneke
In the meantime the idea of moving lock stock and barrel to Salento really appeals... I can buy a larger small hding for half the money and I won't need a polytunnel for my non hardy herbs!!!
Feb 2016
5:06pm, 24 Feb 2016
68,749 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Another good article:http://www.halsburyslawexchange.co.uk/eu-uncertainty-the-impact-on-eu-migrants-in-the-uk/

About This Thread

Maintained by CStar
Time to cast your vote for Fetchland to be part of the EU or to pull up the drawbridge and simply do...