Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

2 lurkers | 140 watchers
26 Sep
3:24pm, 26 Sep 2024
18,126 posts
  •  
Garfield
Arrrrrgh!!! Hubby needs to go through 4 filing cabinets' worth of stuff in our garage at some point. We have a generous sized garage...useful when he has 3 motorbikes.
26 Sep
5:17pm, 26 Sep 2024
15,177 posts
  •  
sallykate
Hello :-) I have a question on behalf of my MiL. She is a very youthful 73 but her partner (P) is 87 and has Alzheimer's. They aren't married but have been living together for nearly 30 years.

She finds herself now in a tricky situation. P had an LPA in place. She didn't want to be the attorney (I think to avoid any clashes with his children) so she asked someone she and P have known for a very long time, and on paper she looked like a good choice. The idea was to get things to the point where he could enter a care home.

In practice it was an absolute disaster and she was useless, totally overstepping the mark to the point where his bank was suspicious.

The only way out of this was apparently to have the LPA revoked. But of course this leaves him now without an LPA - and in the time since it was put in place he has deteriorated to the point where another one is unlikely as he can't be presented as having capacity. He has no capital so can't go into a care home unless some cash is released in the form of selling some assets - which won't happen without an LPA.

Is there any way out of this? I am not getting too involved but it obviously affects my husband. It seems a bit ridiculous to put plans in place properly but then lose them totally when the attorney needs to be changed. I wondered whether anyone here had experience of anything similar.
26 Sep
5:19pm, 26 Sep 2024
69,980 posts
  •  
LindsD
That sounds really really difficult. I don't have any advice but hope someone else does.
26 Sep
5:26pm, 26 Sep 2024
7,406 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
No experience I’m afraid sallykate. Could be worth seeing if Age UK, citizens advice or the Alzheimer’s Society can advise.
26 Sep
5:43pm, 26 Sep 2024
28,731 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Is there a 2nd attorney on the LPA?
jda
26 Sep
5:49pm, 26 Sep 2024
17,869 posts
  •  
jda
Sounds to me like you need to go down the legal route that applies with no PoA (Court of protection IIRC). Which is supposedly quite tedious and expensive. Talk to a family lawyer with a view to getting the ball rolling asap.
27 Sep
5:01pm, 27 Sep 2024
2,980 posts
  •  
Snail
Dad has been out from hospital 10 days now after his hip op. Reliant currently on provided zimmer as his walking quite limited but was beginning to progress. Unfortunately last night tripped on zimmer and fell onto stone fireplace and thinks he has damaged the other hip/leg. Mum phoned for ambulance at 11pm and now currently 18 hours and still waiting! Mum sat up all night with him, assuming ambulance could arrive any minute. Dad on settee and bruised and hurting but not enough factors to move up the priority list. However when mum has spoken to 999 on various occasions they keep on assuring her that she hasn't been forgotten but not to move dad - ie so we cant take him in a car to A&E. I appreciate there will be more life threatening issues being prioritised but it's frustrating that no idea of timescale
27 Sep
5:09pm, 27 Sep 2024
45,037 posts
  •  
Ness
That sounds stressful. When mum broke her hip in June, we were lucky! Ambulance arrived within the hour, which was good because just after the ambulance arrived, she went into shock and her blood pressure dropped to dangerously low levels. Hope he gets help soon.
27 Sep
5:10pm, 27 Sep 2024
70,012 posts
  •  
LindsD
Oh no Snail. That sounds really awful. I'm sorry.
27 Sep
5:56pm, 27 Sep 2024
2,981 posts
  •  
Snail
Amazing the power of Fetch - 30 mins after posting on here, ambulance staff arrived !

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.