Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

140 watchers
CK2
28 Sep
10:58am, 28 Sep 2024
2,788 posts
  •  
CK2
Virtual hugs to many on here who are going through such tough times. Snail - how’s he doing now? What a horrendous wait! Baz - that sounds unbearable for all involved.
28 Sep
11:31am, 28 Sep 2024
7,412 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Garfield - as Linds said, rant away! It must be difficult for MiL after doing things her way for so long but hopefully she’ll adjust quickly.
28 Sep
3:18pm, 28 Sep 2024
18,130 posts
  •  
Garfield
Thanks all. And more virtual hugs to anyone else who needs them.x

We hope she will settle in, though we've heard from hubby's cousin about her (MIL's) sister, who went into a home in the UK and she hated it.
29 Sep
11:03am, 29 Sep 2024
2,984 posts
  •  
Snail
Unfortunately as expected Dad has fractured his other hip, so is back in same ward as 6weeks ago, when he fractured his 1st one. The only difference being that after my sister's recent road accident is that she is in the female side of the same ward. So a nurse pushed her round in a wheelchair and we were able to visit 2 members of the family in one go! Mentally it helps him that she is nearby.
29 Sep
11:22am, 29 Sep 2024
7,415 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sorry to hear that Snail.
29 Sep
11:43am, 29 Sep 2024
70,050 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's concerning. I'm sorry :( Hope they both recover quickly.
3M
29 Sep
7:01pm, 29 Sep 2024
24,850 posts
  •  
3M
Oh gosh Snail. That sounds like it could be a bit of a journey ahead. Good he's getting some comfort from your sister's proximity though.
29 Sep
7:42pm, 29 Sep 2024
27,449 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Thankfully today’s visit was uneventful. Mainly because MiL was asleep and for reasons the medical profession don’t understand, trigeminal neuralgia pain isn’t felt while asleep. I suggested Mrs axe doesn’t wake her in case it all kicks off. We had a good catch up with our son instead who had come with us. Sadly his partners grandmother is also in hospital and it sounds pretty bad news.

We left a letter for the doctor when they show up tomorrow to outline the background and why this medication must be resumed immediately.

It was clear the nurses realised an issue with the medication change and presumably they have been having a torrid weekend and administering whatever pain relief injections they are allowed to. They were planning to hand the same information over when the doctor starts work.

Hopefully things get sorted but it will take time for the effects of the medication to start to work. What a shame for a frail old lady in poor health to have this unnecessary pain.
29 Sep
7:50pm, 29 Sep 2024
18,132 posts
  •  
Garfield
Hope things continue to improve Baz and that her pain relief is sorted out soon. Unnecessary pain is terrible to have to put up with. At least she doesn't seem to have any when asleep.

Yesterday when hubby phoned up MIL, she sounded quite chipper. Perhaps another friend of hers had a word with MIL, as hubby had a words with that friend, saying he was getting quite exasperated and very annoyed with MIL's rudeness towards the staff at the home at times, when she couldn't get her way.

MIL and other residents are given a pre-bedtime snack and the day before, they were given some sort of biscuits but MIL wanted the crackers that were given the day before that. MIL was told that they were out of the crackers but they had biscuits today (that day) and MIL exclaimed "of course you have the crackers, why aren't you giving me them?" to which they repeated that there were no crackers that evening but biscuits.

Hubby finds it terribly embarrassing when MIL behaves like that...were he to have behaved like that as a child, he would have been given a smacking for that kind of disrespect.
29 Sep
10:54pm, 29 Sep 2024
7,418 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Baz - I find it hard to believe that they didn’t have a doctor they could contact over the weekend. Might be worth raising a complaint?

Garfield- I expect the staff are used to it (not that that excuses it) losing your independence as MiL has is like a bereavement so there’s bound to be a period of adjustment.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.