Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
20 Sep
8:00am, 20 Sep 2024
28,725 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Dad (aspiration pneumonia after broken hip etc) has improved slightly, but difficulty swallowing.
Mum has just had fluid drained from a lung, we've found a care home she likes (currently no vacancies).
My brother has been staying with mum this week & it's been lovely. He's going home today and I need to go back to work next week 😭😱
20 Sep
8:12am, 20 Sep 2024
69,849 posts
  •  
LindsD
Hugs Lizzie

Glad Dad is improving
20 Sep
8:15am, 20 Sep 2024
27,410 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
That sounds tough lizzie.

We have had a rollercoaster week. Mil has improved slightly with some positive hospital updates but the evidence we have seen is different

We have gone in every night until
Last night as the girls had an appointment to choose bridesmaids dresses

Just as they arrived there was a call to say mil had somehow got out of bed fallen and banged hear head. She was in bed moaning and they wanted Mrs axe to go. She said she couldn’t.

Sounded to me like a dr or ambulance they need. We haven’t heard since then.

We will go in tonight but I am scratching my head to understand how a lady who can barely nod her head far less speak was able to get out of bed and fall.

It’s so hard to know what to do.
20 Sep
8:20am, 20 Sep 2024
4,025 posts
  •  
Big_G
I’m not sure what they are called, but mats can be placed on the floor to alert staff if someone is trying to get out of bed. My dad was temporarily in a care home after having a leg amputation and (dare I say, stubbornly) kept trying to get out of bed when he had no way of keeping balance, and so a mat was installed, which did help alert the staff when he was about to do something stupid. Of course, this issue still made its way back home was a big problem to contend with as he lived alone, but in a care setting it’s a possibility (but probably the staff will already thinking of that if it becomes a regular occurrence).
20 Sep
8:41am, 20 Sep 2024
27,411 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
They do have alarm things that trigger as soon as we arrive and nurses rush in to switch off. Think the problem is if no one is there when she decides to get up then she falls. She won’t press the call button and tries to move herself

I just don’t understand how the frail lady I have seen all week was even able to try and get out of bed
3M
20 Sep
9:36am, 20 Sep 2024
24,798 posts
  •  
3M
It's a bit of a mystery how this sort of thing can happen, Bazo. My Mum did something similar in a respite care home a year or two back (the respite being for my sister!).

Given she only has the use of one leg, and advanced osteoporosis n her shoulder jointd which means she can't apparently lift anything heavier than a teacup, how did she manage to sit up, move across the bed, swing either leg ove the edge... And where was the bed side guard?

I can only assume some kind of (absent) mind over matter thing on her part.

A trip to A&E to be checked and returning home rather crimped that respite week.
20 Sep
10:31am, 20 Sep 2024
4,028 posts
  •  
Big_G
Sorry to ask a pointed question, but are people suggesting their relatives have been dropped or something? Definitely wasn’t the case with my Dad - he was up to mischief and attempting things he shouldn’t have been doing!
20 Sep
10:52am, 20 Sep 2024
27,412 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I am not suggesting that at all.

Mil is stubborn and will ignore any risks despite family pleas to be careful. I fully believe she has fallen under her own steam.

Clearly she has times when she is more alert and able but we have not in the last week seen her in a state where she would be physically able to even try to get out of bed.

We only see her for a small part of each day.
3M
20 Sep
2:01pm, 20 Sep 2024
24,799 posts
  •  
3M
Yep, similarly I'm not accusing the care homeor it's staff of any wrong doing. Simply that when an apparently inert 90something year old gets an idea into her head she's a lot more "able" than we think she is!

Added to which, I think at home she'd have been content to stay put and be served. Out of her familiar surroundings, I'm sure she was a lot more feisty!
20 Sep
3:45pm, 20 Sep 2024
32,804 posts
  •  
macca 53
The aged parents don’t change do they 🙈. We had the same situation with both my in-laws. Each would be comlletely supine and passive when we or other family members/carers were there but would then be wandering the house and falling as soon as they were on their own. Big hugs to all who need them - I wish you strength…

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.