Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

3 lurkers | 140 watchers
13 Sep
10:01am, 13 Sep 2024
88,081 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I had the same experience as Linds with my mum and dad, fortunately. I was amazed at the level of care and support provided, and the efficiency once the process began.
13 Sep
10:11am, 13 Sep 2024
19,821 posts
  •  
northernslowcoach
*delurks*
@HappyG(rrr) that’s disappointing that your Mum isn’t getting more support, have you spoken to your GP about care? Or contacted MacMillan?
As for scans etc, they will only be done if needed to direct treatment, so if she’s having no treatment, care will be guided by how she is and dealing with symptoms

*relurks*
13 Sep
11:40am, 13 Sep 2024
7,394 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
nsc beat me to it with the information about the scans. It's not just the cost, they carry an inherent risk because of the radiation involved.

Baz - hopefully things will be moved forward despite BiL's absence.
CK2
13 Sep
11:57am, 13 Sep 2024
2,782 posts
  •  
CK2
My dad had support but was already in hospital when he got the cancer diagnosis so the support was all palliative care following his discharge, at which point the focus was on keeping him as comfortable as possible.
CK2
13 Sep
11:58am, 13 Sep 2024
2,783 posts
  •  
CK2
Sorry to read about so many difficult and distressing experiences here.
13 Sep
12:12pm, 13 Sep 2024
27,386 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I have nom issues over the care, as ever thats been excellent. Its the diagnosis which was based on 30 years medical experience, but appears no more than guesswork

Ultimately though, we seem to be getting to the right outcome albeit in a roundabout way
13 Sep
9:18pm, 13 Sep 2024
28,717 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Happy G, to add to NSC's help, I think she could access support from a hospice too.

So, dad's hip is pinned, he's got a chest infection and various other things have come to light and some things could probably have been managed differently historically. Anyway. He's not in a good way, but slightly better than yesterday.
Meanwhile mum is poorly.
13 Sep
9:41pm, 13 Sep 2024
77,549 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Oh dear Lizzie that all sounds tough . Hugs x
13 Sep
10:04pm, 13 Sep 2024
69,739 posts
  •  
LindsD
Hugs
14 Sep
9:00am, 14 Sep 2024
19,799 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Hugs

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.