Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

7 lurkers | 140 watchers
14 Sep
11:04am, 14 Sep 2024
50,916 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
@northernslowcoach Thanks and Lizzie and Little Miss Happy. GP is amazing and did pop out to see how she is. We might try Macmillan. It's really just to understand what she should expect, will it get worse or should she expect symptoms to change etc. :-) G
14 Sep
11:16am, 14 Sep 2024
27,393 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
HG sorry I missed your post from the other day and that does sound difficult. We are finding the same as MiL is too old and frail. She has had great care, but doesnt have any diagnosis based on proper tests as they are deemed to much of a risk

Mil was a poor soul when we visited last night and she has deteriorated a little, albeit based on the past when we go in tomorrow she is just as likely to be much better

We just await the social worker getting in touch to see what happens next and also how BiL is going to play this. The head nurse and physiotherapist have both stated surely BiL will speak to us to sort things out. We are not so sure.
15 Sep
6:46pm, 15 Sep 2024
27,400 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Not good today. It seems since our visit on Friday night MiL has refused food and water. She was on a fluid drip overnight.

She was unable to communicate today although we did get her to drink a little. The nurses say she had perked up today so I wonder what she was like yesterday. I am surprised they hadn’t called us.
15 Sep
6:53pm, 15 Sep 2024
8,629 posts
  •  
Corrah
Thinking of you Baz x
15 Sep
7:15pm, 15 Sep 2024
77,587 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Hard one Baz x
15 Sep
7:26pm, 15 Sep 2024
69,779 posts
  •  
LindsD
Oh no. I'm sorry.
15 Sep
7:27pm, 15 Sep 2024
44,756 posts
  •  
Ness
Thinking of you
15 Sep
7:56pm, 15 Sep 2024
32,794 posts
  •  
macca 53
So sad Bazo, thinking of you ((()))
15 Sep
10:56pm, 15 Sep 2024
7,399 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sorry to hear that Baz. No reason to call you really especially if she’s having fluids through a drip.
16 Sep
7:43am, 16 Sep 2024
19,811 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Thinking of you Baz xx

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.