Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
20 Sep
4:13pm, 20 Sep 2024
6,355 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
FIL (80 with Parkinsonism) has been taken into hospital after a rough night with blood in his urine.

Mr S drove up (2 hr drive) to see what’s going on and support.

FIL’s had a catheter inserted and been given morphine, so he’s not in pain, but seems like there could be a long wait before they can investigate the cause.

Mr S is very impressed with NHS staff at Dumfries hospital and with those who came out to the house in the early hours this morning.
20 Sep
4:31pm, 20 Sep 2024
69,856 posts
  •  
LindsD
Hope they can soon get to the bottom of it (())
20 Sep
4:53pm, 20 Sep 2024
27,414 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
3M and macca - I agree 100%, thats what we have found. When left alone, whether at home or hospital, MiL will attempt things that she would like to be able to do, but the body is no longer capable and then falls

Its clearly not ethical to strap her in the bed, but whenever I have been in hospital this last week, the sides have been up but even that hasnt stopped a determined nearly 91 year old
jda
20 Sep
5:08pm, 20 Sep 2024
17,836 posts
  •  
jda
If she’s harming herself in hospital then restraint seems appropriate and necessary.
20 Sep
10:23pm, 20 Sep 2024
7,403 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Such a lot to deal with Lizzie. Try to take care of yourself too.

Easier said than done jda. A DOLS is needed in England not sure if it’s the same in Scotland.

Hope they can get him sorted and on his way home quickly scribbler.
21 Sep
7:40am, 21 Sep 2024
24,353 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Sorry to hear this Scribbs hope they get him settled and cause found.

Sorry to hear of all the issues faced and the power ones kind can have over a failing body. Sending love strength and hugs to all.
21 Sep
11:16am, 21 Sep 2024
27,417 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
We had a good chat with the nurse last night. Still not much eating or drinking going on. They are also struggling to give her medication. We have noticed she has been holding her head which is a clear sign the trigerminal neuralgia is bothering her, and that’s down to the lack of medication.

The nurses are doing their best, but last night seemed to be preparing us for an ongoing decline. They just don’t know for how long.
21 Sep
11:41am, 21 Sep 2024
5,791 posts
  •  
icemaiden
I have just looked up trigerminal neuralgia, which sounds ghastly and something with which it is hugely difficult to put up, especially as it gets worse the longer you have it. Sympathies to anyone who has that.
21 Sep
11:49am, 21 Sep 2024
27,418 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Yeah, it really is a horrible illness and has been the root cause of all MiLs health issues over the last 15 years. Thankfully for the most part medication has controlled it, but that has led to the mobility issues. Standard pain relief has no effect at all

There have been a few attempts to reduce or change medication to improve mobility, but those have led to the excruciating pain which was horrible to witness until medication sorted. Even once sorted it takes time for it to build up.

Thankfully it’s not hereditary and so chances are my wife and children won’t be affected and it just seems to be bad luck if you do.
21 Sep
2:01pm, 21 Sep 2024
69,862 posts
  •  
LindsD
Yes. Someone close to me has it and there was serious worry about suicide until he had radiotherapy which worked to lessen the pain.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.