Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

6 lurkers | 140 watchers
14 Aug
1:09pm, 14 Aug 2024
69,331 posts
  •  
LindsD
also not surprised. Awful.
14 Aug
1:29pm, 14 Aug 2024
8,585 posts
  •  
Corrah
Please give Mrs Axe a big hug from me. That’s an absolutely horrid position to be in. Very much thinking of you both x
14 Aug
3:18pm, 14 Aug 2024
18,053 posts
  •  
Garfield
Yes, sending hugs to Mrs Axe.
15 Aug
12:23pm, 15 Aug 2024
13,001 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
Thinking of you.
15 Aug
4:06pm, 15 Aug 2024
6,328 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
Sending loads of hugs and good wishes to everyone who needs them.

Adding myself to the watch list, mainly for my parents in law, although my mum and dad have health and mobility issues too.

Like many of you, we live over 200 miles from either set of parents, which makes it difficult to offer practical help, especially as we're both constrained by work.

We spent last weekend up at PILs helping to move furniture and organise stuff to make a room more accessible. They are loathe to throw anything away, but did make some concessions.

Then last night Mr S gave them a call, and could tell they weren't happy. Apparently we've made it harder for them to get to the things they need (despite checking in and asking many times).

FIL has vascular Parkinsons and has drastically slowed down in the past 2 years and can't process speech or eating very quickly. MIL has very limited mobility due to arthritis and catastrophises everything.

Feels like we're at the start of a long road with them and I want to be able to support Mr S as well as I can.
15 Aug
4:11pm, 15 Aug 2024
69,347 posts
  •  
LindsD
That sounds frustrating, Scribbs
15 Aug
4:12pm, 15 Aug 2024
5,785 posts
  •  
icemaiden
It's what this thread is for, sorry to welcome another contributor to it, and I hope it goes as well as it all can for you @TheScribbler
15 Aug
4:19pm, 15 Aug 2024
6,329 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
I've read a bit further back and want to share my love and support with @Big_G and @Bazoaxe who have shared their experiences.

At the moment I have a lot to be grateful for, but the advice on setting boundaries is very welcome. And it's good to have this place to sound off or ask advice.
15 Aug
4:23pm, 15 Aug 2024
77,067 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Welcome Scribbler. I’m almost at the tail end in here now but I still like to pop in and throw hugs where appropriate.
15 Aug
5:02pm, 15 Aug 2024
54,391 posts
  •  
McGoohan
And now news from my in-laws. You might want to be sitting down to take this in but my MiL has said she *wants* and *needs* overnight care - someone to come in and stay and help get FiL up, dressed, toileted and fed.

She has also said to Liebling that if she tried to go back on it at any stage, we are to remind her of this conversation and that she asked for it.

Wonders never cease.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.