Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

6 lurkers | 140 watchers
12 Aug
9:29pm, 12 Aug 2024
19,542 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Hope MIL is ok and settled Baz
12 Aug
9:30pm, 12 Aug 2024
69,298 posts
  •  
LindsD
Good luck Baz
12 Aug
9:35pm, 12 Aug 2024
54,377 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Best wishes to you and yours Baz
12 Aug
9:42pm, 12 Aug 2024
18,045 posts
  •  
Garfield
Best of luck Baz.
12 Aug
9:45pm, 12 Aug 2024
77,033 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Hope she settles in well and realises it’s the best place for her.
13 Aug
5:57am, 13 Aug 2024
7,329 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I think that's probably the best result Baz. Hope she settles ok.
13 Aug
6:40am, 13 Aug 2024
3,869 posts
  •  
Big_G
Hope she settles in Baz.

Thanks for everyone’s comments about my Dad. Early days but Dad’s partner and I saw the funeral director yesterday, and sorted the main bulk of it. Just in the process of sorting out a wake at the cricket club for after.

I lived in that house from roughly age 5-19 and when I moved away for work, I still considered it home. But it’s odd going in there, securing the place, taking out the main valuables. I feel like I’m trespassing! I think like many houses that relatives need to sort through after a death, Dad’s is full of stuff, but I’m not in a hurry to do that. I have organised for the social services to take away all the kit that he had - hospital bed, ceiling hoist, mattress, adjustable tables, chairs, portable hoist, various slings, wheel chair, Telecare kit, syringe driver kit - and that will be taken away on Friday. Just getting rid of all that will immediately free up a lot of space, and to be honest I just want it gone. I know that is what enabled him to stay at home, which is what he wanted, but I do want it gone now.

This is the 4th funeral I’ve organised and I know just to take things easy. I’ve an ever growing list of things that I need to do (literally a spreadsheet, of course….), but I’ve not got a death certificate yet so not too much to do really. We’ll get the funeral sorted first and then I’ll progress from there. A few different people have asked me what I’m going to do with the place, and probably I’m going to do it up and then sell it (I do up properties on the side), but nothing set in stone yet.

It’s sad, and I did have some tears yesterday as I was looking for photos for the order of service. I knew the ones I was looking for, but it’s just sad seeing the decline - he was a totally different man even just 5 years ago to how he ended up. More tears figuring out the music for the service, but music does that to me. I play guitar a bit and my first memories really were of me playing along to some of my Dad’s favourites as a kid - Buddy Holly, The Shadows, Roy Orbison etc - and that made him smile. Crikey, he was so proud of me, and loads of people have said that, and I did know that. Just looking around his living room it’s clear as there are pics of me through my whole life - toddler, school, uni, master’s, cars, wedding, marriage, running - and no other pics.
13 Aug
6:57am, 13 Aug 2024
69,300 posts
  •  
LindsD
Huhs Big_G. Keep talking
13 Aug
6:58am, 13 Aug 2024
69,301 posts
  •  
LindsD
Or even hugs
13 Aug
7:12am, 13 Aug 2024
7,330 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Lovely memories Big G.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.