Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
CK2
9 Aug
6:36am, 9 Aug 2024
2,764 posts
  •  
CK2
I’m so sorry to hear your news Big_G. I recognise that strange mix of sadness and relief that you describe. It sounds as though you’ve been an amazing support for your dad and I’m glad you and his partner were there at the end.
9 Aug
6:39am, 9 Aug 2024
21,287 posts
  •  
Dave W
Well done for what you did for your dad, @Big_G

Sorry that your dad passed away.

It must have taken a lot of fortitude on your part to stick with it through all that, so whilst I know this won't have been your motivation, you should be proud of yourself.
9 Aug
6:41am, 9 Aug 2024
27,183 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I am sorry for your loss big g.

Your story is very familiar and old age seems to change the way people are. Almost as if they don’t accept the ageing process. It’s not easy.
9 Aug
6:41am, 9 Aug 2024
27,184 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
LMH. I have my views on this sudden change.
9 Aug
6:55am, 9 Aug 2024
69,242 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thank you for sharing that. It's not an easy task, to keep someone at home. Sorry for your loss. Sending strength for the days ahead.
9 Aug
7:09am, 9 Aug 2024
19,508 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Sorry for your Loss and thanks for sharing
9 Aug
7:21am, 9 Aug 2024
54,372 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Thanks for sharing that Big-g
9 Aug
7:21am, 9 Aug 2024
50,655 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Condolences Big G. Sounds like your dad was a very strong fella and quite a character. RIP.

I feel really lucky that my mum at 87 doesn't need too much. Just weekly visits to help her with things. And though she's often initially resistant to suggestions she usually comes round. And my sis and I can share things too. Wherever sis says mum's being difficult I regale her with tales from this thread. You're all heroes helping your olds! :-) G
9 Aug
7:58am, 9 Aug 2024
7,312 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Condolences Big G.
9 Aug
8:36am, 9 Aug 2024
23,703 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Sending my condolences Big-G, what a post my eyes leaked.

I’m sure your dad knew you did your best for him and you really did I hope you know that and glad you had those chats.

I know we’ve got this to come and grateful for the currently healthy parents we have but also dreading the future and hope I can manage to look after them well when needed.

The situation with you bil is awful Bazo hopefully he gets bored soon and goes back in his hole.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.