Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

3 lurkers | 140 watchers
7 Aug
7:54pm, 7 Aug 2024
27,173 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Mrs axe spoke to the dr again but forcefully made her feelings known. Within 30 mins the consultant called. Mrs axe now has all the info she wanted and accepts where we are. We don’t know but suspect BiL had more information than he disclosed and the hospital now know there is a serious communication issue on his side. The gp also called and helped her understanding.

Position is their diagnosis is made based on 30 years experience. No tests will be done and she will never go home. They will also not tell her anything and just move her when a bed is free. She is fourth on waiting list

On our visit tonight she was a bit unsettled and also spoke about some pain that she put down to her tea. She is blissfully unaware and talking about getting home.

Ironically the lift repair is about to happen.

So I guess the positives here is that the decision about going home is made for us and also the move will be to nhs care and so there are no costs to be covered unless of course the family want to find somewhere else that can take her on.

Consultant accepts this could be longer than a few weeks
7 Aug
8:05pm, 7 Aug 2024
19,498 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Sounds like a very tough time but so pleased you finally had some information given and good discussion.
7 Aug
8:25pm, 7 Aug 2024
69,219 posts
  •  
LindsD
Sorry about the outcome but pleased you finally got some clear info. Sending strength.
7 Aug
9:13pm, 7 Aug 2024
32,695 posts
  •  
macca 53
I’m angry for you Bazo but it seems that at least you have a better view of what is the plan. Sending strength
jda
7 Aug
9:15pm, 7 Aug 2024
17,600 posts
  •  
jda
Well you’ve done all you can and it’s out of your hands. So that should give you both some comfort. “End of life” or not, it really did sound like a care home was long overdue, based on what you’ve posted here over the past months (years?)
7 Aug
9:31pm, 7 Aug 2024
27,176 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Jda this all started when we returned from holiday in summer 2010 with a slow decline each year.

In a way it’s good that something has triggered this decision for us albeit when mil realises what’s going on we will have some tough times.

It was quite sad tonight actually. Only one of the four ladies in her ward could walk. That lady seemed to be dispatched by the other three with her zimmer frame to go and fetch nurses.
7 Aug
10:08pm, 7 Aug 2024
19,499 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Baz mum was set again going into a care home, was very upset etc at the mention of it but when the time came, and she went straight from hospital she just seemed to accept it. I really hope MIL doesn't make it as tough as you think xx
7 Aug
10:38pm, 7 Aug 2024
76,956 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
TBF dad was the same.
8 Aug
6:34am, 8 Aug 2024
7,307 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I'm glad you've got some answers Baz and I think it's probably the best outcome though that doesn't make it easier. At least if MiL does get upset you can tell her that it was the doctor's (and BiL's?) decision.

That must have emotionally and physically wearing LG.
8 Aug
6:47am, 8 Aug 2024
8,574 posts
  •  
Corrah
Glad you got some answers Baz. Dad when straight from hospital to a care home and seemed fairly accepting.

Glad you got the house sorted LG. I have one more trip to do the same and the house is now on the market. I hace mixed feelings about that.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.